Growth on driftwood causing water problems?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Samson

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a betta housed in my 3g. Eclipse tank at my office for a couple years now. Everything has been fine up until recently...

A month or two ago, I purchased a small piece of aquarium driftwood from my LFS to add to the decor of the tank. Within a week or so, I noticed a strange white growth on the wood. I scraped it off, but it keeps coming back stronger. Some of the growth is almost lichen-like in appearance, and some of it is more spongy looking. I have used driftwood in nearly ALL of my freshwater tanks, for years and years and this has never happened.

Now, I know that strange things grow in tanks sometimes, and I didn't think it would be much of a problem, but today I've noticed that the water is starting to smell pretty strongly of rotten eggs, which has also never happened before.

I am going to totally clean out the tank this afternoon, and toss the driftwood, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about why this may have happened? Like I said, I've used driftwood many times in the past with no problems. The only thing I didn't do this time, was boil the driftwood, which I have always done in the past. Could this have been the culprit?

Thanks in Advance~

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Driftwood often harbors various organisms--sponges, fungus, etc. Most are harmless to an aquarium, though may be unattractive. Boiling will kill most of these, so they never make an appearance. You probably can boil this piece and put it back in, and they 'things' won't come back.

The smell of sulfur is more troubling. Sulfur is often the result of specific bacteria--anaerobes--that break down nitrates and other wastes in the tank. To have it showing up indicates that possibly part of the tank is not getting adequate water movement, resulting in areas with little oxygenation. What kind of water movement is in the tank?

Samson

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. The only water movement in the tank is from the bio-wheel filter return. I didn't put an airstone in, as I know most bettas prefer a more calm tank. I used to have a sand substrate in the tank, but I removed it because I was worried about the growth of anerobic bacteria. It's been regular gravel for a while now...I could add a small airstone if you think it would help, I don't know how my betta would react, as he's never had one before!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the water is moving at the surface and along the full area of the tank, it may just be that the wood is blocking the flow to part of the tank. A different spot for it might work better?

Samson

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Massachusetts
Visit site
Well, I think I will take the wood out for now, and then boil it. Then maybe I will put it in a bucket for a couple weeks and see if any of the growth returns...if not, I'll try putting it in a different spot...though there is not much room to work with in a 3 gallon tank! But I'll give it a try! Thank you for your help!

alphabetta

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
Visit site
I got some growth on my driftwood too, I dont know if its exactly the same as what you got. Its like a cloudy spiderweb until you pick it off then it is just snotlike. I boiled my wood for 4 hrs or so until it sank and this stuff still grew on it. Its harmless to fish, I have a male betta and 2 otos in there and they are not affected by it. I understand its just fungi leaching out of the wood and in time it will all be gone. Right now its not too attractive but I'm gonna leave it in anyway and let it grow itself out. And its definitely not causing any sulphur smell, so that might be a whole different problem you have. And like Oriongirl said, thats a more troubling problem. Good luck with it all.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
alphabetta i have the same stuff in one of my tanks. grows just on this one piece of wood... and its like thick white fuzz stuff.... like snot! hehe

anyways in spots its already starting to grow itself out and disappear..... so hopefully it will all be gone soon.

lately though i've had this thick dark green 'blanket' algae growing in there that has been more of a concern. i think the green algae is winning too!

lol

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I have some growth on my drift wood. I didn’t think about the smell of the tank but it dose smell a bit. Every week I have been tacking it out side and hitting it with the hose. The tank has cycled but I haven’t put any fish in it. I did plant it and still tossing in some ammonia every night. Every week there is less of the fungus looking stuff on the wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store