Balloon Molly Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
I have a community tank with a school of tetras and 3 albino corys. I got a sailfin balloon molly about a month ago and she tends to be pretty shy in general. I thought that if I got another balloon molly my original would be more comfortable around the tank. I went to my lfs and bought a black balloon molly (another female) and put her in the tank. When the mollies first found each other they seemed fine and stuck together. The black molly is definitely more outgoing and not as afraid. The next day I was watching them and I noticed that the black molly was seemingly herding the other one, and upon closer inspection the black one nips and chases the other. I've also noticed though that the other one doesn't really try too hard to get away. Neither molly bothers the other fish, and they actually hang out with the tetras at the top of the tank sometimes. Any thoughts or advice as to what is going on? I did an internet search but nothing came up with a female molly bullying another female. Do they need to be separated or are they just trying to create some hierarchy? Please help! I don't want my original molly to get so stressed that she gets sick or something.

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I've had balloon mollies in the past and had that happen. The thing was that I had one male and one female so the male would always follow and bother the female. That is normal. My guess is that you got one male and One female and not two female.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
If I could get a good picture I would show you but they both look like females to me. Both have rounded anal fins. Unless I'm wrong?

Ray1981

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Mercedes Texas
I personally don't know how to tell the difference but a male will chase the female when they want to mate. I don't think that female mollies will chase each other like that. You shouldn't worry about it.

Sent from mya HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
I'm just worried about the one nipping at the other. I originally thought one was a male as well but I researched and everything I've compared them to says female. That's what bothers me because I haven't found this behavior to be common among other aquarists.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Always best to monitor for a few and then take action.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Both female

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
They seem to be more civil now, I haven't seen any nipping today. They still seem to stick together for the most part so I'm hoping maybe they're over it and accept that there's another in their space?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store