Redo Fish Room

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MickRC

AC Members
Dec 22, 2010
Nebraska
I'm going to empty out my main basement room (man cave) and set aside a large area for my tanks. 17 are in use right now but when I am finished I expect to have 24 up and running. I am debating on switching from HOBs and sponge filters to a central sump system. But I wonder how much sump I would need for about 1000 gallons and if it would be practical. Nine of the tanks are for angelfish pairs, three are for my dwarf cichlids (3 kinds of Rams, Cockatoos, and Agassiz), 1 for discus, two for loaches, two community tanks, and the others haven't been assigned yet.

Fish - Platinum Angels, Philippine Blue Angels, Koi Angels, Black Veil Angels, Silver Angels, Clown Loaches, YoYo Loaches, Skunk Loach, Kuhli Loaches, Burmese Loaches, Red Tail Loach, Angelicus Botia, Red Tailed Black Sharks, Rainbow Sharks, Blue Metallic Rams, Bolivian Rams, German Blue Rams, Blue Headed Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlids, Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids, Pictus Catfish, Green Catfish, Julii Catfish, Otocinclus, Neon Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Black Skirt Tetras, Red Paradise Fish, Opaline Gourami, Blue Gouramis, Flying Foxes and some assorted guppies and swordtails.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would imagine most people here with fish rooms would say sump it up.

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I thought about sumping my tanks but decided against it. I like the flexibility of the individual setups and the ability to change parameters as needed. 29 tanks running 55 by year's end.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I use air driven sponge filters, mostly HMF style with Poret foam though I do have individual sponge filters for backup and emergency use. I use a central air pump with PVC header and supply the tanks with individual air valves. Twenty-two tanks on the system so far ranging from 10G to 40 breeders.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
There are pros and cons to a multiple tank filtration system.

For me, the biggest argument against is the risks of disease transfer. There's also the possibility of a water disaster from leaks. When I had my fishroom up I used individual filtration; HOBs, sponges, UGF, canisters, etc. Cost me more in equipment but I had fewer worries, no cross-contamination and no floods.

Mark

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yeah you don't want a disease to hit your entire system, when it could have been kept to just the tank it got introduced to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store