The mystery molly birth .. why do I see 6 fry?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have had a tank with 3 tetras, 2 octos, 1 male molly and 3 female mollies for two years. There have never been fry in the tank since I have had it. Two of the female mollies have been in the tank for over a year and one was added about 4 months ago. I had concluded my male was unable to be a dad for some reason and that is why we never had fry. So assuming I was right, I made sure to never get another male molly (the tank and male molly were a present for my 3 year old two years ago).

Yesterday I see 6 fry swimming around. Various sizes. They do not have any real color yet so I assume they are young. I feed the fish daily and often sit and contemplate the world while watching them swim so I would be surprised if I missed fry before. I am a bit shocked to see them. Maybe the male was just biding his time or the females were too young before. I guess I will be doing my reading on this one. I have some plastic plants in there that are "newer" so maybe that is the reason and its just that the others were unable to survive before?.

The tank is 37 gallons so its currently not overcrowded and even if all 6 babies made it, I think it would not be overcrowded. However, my guess is the babies are a mix of male and female -- and thus more babies would be showing up. I supposed I could get a second tank and separate carefully.

1. I am curious why just now I am seeing fry. Thoughts?
2. I see the fry nibble on the regular flakes. Is this ok?

I posted a picture of the molly who looks the "biggest" but she and the only male molly have been in this tank for over a year together. You can see the size of the fry in comparison.

Thanks,

Lynn

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I know with guppies I have kept, they could go a long time without having babies, then all of a sudden something clicks. Ive found live bearers not as picky about breeding in different conditions, but it could be something triggered the event. You say various sizes, do you mean a big enough difference they could be from a separate spawn? That would be odd if you never noticed the first one. As for them eating flakes, thats fine. I would crush up flakes into dust to feed my guppy fry when I had them.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
sumthinfishy -- I think the same spawn, but not identical in size as in some were healthier than others. I have never had fry so they could be newborn or 10 days old (but I would think I would have seen them before yesterday).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What type of substrate do you have? Could the fry have been hanging out, hidden in the substrate? Based on what I see in your pic, those aren't newborns.

Like you say though, you're going to have to deal with an exploding molly population now, as the fry mature and continue to breed.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Mollies can hold sperm from a single fertilization event and spawn multiple times from that. Very seldom will a molly (or sword/guppy/platy) come from a store without being pregnant, since stores usually store the males and females all together. I agree, not newborn, but with a young female, the fry tend to be very small initially and easily hide in the substrate.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
I have several fake plants as well as two rock/cave structures. Yeah, I thought they looked older but then I have never had fry before. Maybe they have been hiding and these are the survivors... I will need to find homes for them if they do make it - i will have to call the LFS and find out the best way to give them away. They are definitely eating the fish flakes and they swim among the older mollies. I have not seen the older fish try to chase them yet.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
You know...I had a ceramic treasure chest in the tank. It had been flipped upside down at some point and two nights ago I flipped it right side up. Could have been a hiding spot though I do have plenty of places for them to hide ...I wonder if there are other fry in the tank. Yikes!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If there aren't more now, there likely will be soon enough!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Just because you haven't seen the fry doesn't mean there have never been any. The molly females have probably been cranking out batches for a while, but only now have both the batches gotten big enough for some to survive and for the survivors to be big enough to swim about freely. Mollys generally don't eat their fry, but the tetras could have been eating them right after they were born, so you haven't seen any. There may well be more small ones hiding out in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store