My unique driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
Really unique driftwood, custom engraved wood burnt. It looks beautiful in my tank. Check on Laurie's shop LongIslandBeaches on Etsy. She'll make you custom signs, name tags all from natural found driftwood, aquarium safe no chemicals, just wood burning technique. My frogs don't pay much attention to it, but my shrimp have been all over it.

20140907_210235.jpg 20140907_162139.jpg 20140907_143928.jpg

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
Huh? I don't understand. I love how this looks in my tank. Its really cool and i've not seen anything like it in any aquariums anywhere. I just want to share how awesome it is and where anyone could get something like it. I know if I saw something I really liked, i'd want to know where to get it. Forgive me for wanting to share my excitement with everyone.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just remember that there may be a reason you haven't seen it in aquariums before.

do you know what sort of wood it is? Does she guarantee that it is aquarium safe?

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
It is found driftwood from the beaches off of long island. She was making home decoration with them. I requested for my aquarium and gave her the idea for making them for that. I told her about prepping the wood. I boiled mine. Its perfectly safe in my aquarium. I haven't seen it before because no one else has ever thought of wood burning on driftwood for aquarium. Wood burning is completely safe, chemical free. I wanted a small plaque size/shape and she found that for me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
It's not the preparation and lack of chemicals used.. but the type of wood is a concern.

The sap or pitch can enter your water, and the wood will break down really quickly.

personally it's not something I would chance if I wasn't totally sure what the wood was.

candygirl415

AC Members
Aug 21, 2014
I agree with completely. Unless its labeled mopani or mylasian, any other driftwood i've seen for sale just says driftwood. I would trust driftwood found on a beach before trusting anything found in some random creek or river. I boiled it for a couple hours and it was good to go. Boiling didn't affect the wood burnt engraving. My shrimp just love it. I take pride in having something so uniquely cool and beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store