Extending HOB filter intake tube = slower suction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Veoris

AC Members
Jan 31, 2014
My Aquaclear filter comes with an extension for the filter intake tube, I was wondering if using it would slow the rate at which it sucks in water.. Because I just bought 3 cherry shrimp and I don't want them getting stuck and dying. (Like my last shrimp...)

Would it help or not? I'm not sure if some would consider this obvious but I want a clear answer.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You need to put something like a sponge or mesh over the intake. Shrimp can & will get sucked up, they like the "stuff" the filter draws in. Lengthening the intake will barely make any difference in flow.

bluemalawi

AC Members
Sep 10, 2014
Indiana
Real Name
Logan
Instead of using a pre-filter,I had better luck putting a large media bag over the intake. There was no difference in suction. Media bags are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Instead of using a pre-filter,I had better luck putting a large media bag over the intake. There was no difference in suction. Media bags are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The problem with using media bags, or screens or such is that they are far more likely and quicker to clog and need far more cleaning than a larger pore foam.

All depends how much maintenance you wanna do.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I use a sponge or a piece of foam cut to about the right size with a hole poked into it. It sticks right around the intake. I take it off and rinse it every couple of days since it will get full of debris. My favorite are the cylindrical black foam Fluval brand foam sponges that are made to go with some of their set ups. It won't want to stay on at first but use a rubber band and it will stay on.

I don't think this will solve your problem, but the AC flow can be slowed by pushing the tube over toward the right (the piece that goes down into the filter and meets the impeller). I think without a sponge cover it could still suck shrimp in. My snails all end up sucked into my ACs, which is why I use the sponges.

Veoris

AC Members
Jan 31, 2014
Thank you all for your suggestions, that is very smart. I just cleaned my tank and filter and guess what I found at the bottom of the filter? Two little shrimps.. Amazingly both still alive and eating. I wonder how long they've been there. I'll post some pictures and maybe a video.

I'm thinking of covering up the intake but only the bottom and top of it, the top since that's where most of the suction is I guess, and the holes are bigger, and the bottom because the holes are also pretty big there. Leaving a space in the middle. I'll post a picture and you guys tell me if it's a good idea. I do want an open space for larger debris to just enter, but not big enough for one of the little guys to go into..

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have prefilter sponges on the filter intakes and still clean shrimp(alive) out of the filter every time I clean it. Back when I was raising cherry shrimp to sell my Eheim 2217s would literally have dozens of cherries in them...all alive.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, me too Mark. I keep a big piece of AC sponge on the intake of the AC30 on my 10g that has tons of RCS. Still have live shrimp in the filter.

To the OP, elongating the suction tube won't slow flow through the filter. If you want to slow flow some, scrap the carbon bag and run two sponges and the bio media. That's how I run my ACs that will allow for this.

Veoris

AC Members
Jan 31, 2014
So this is a normal thing even WITH prefilter sponges!? ****.. I don't see how removing the carbon could slow down the flow but I'm interested.. The filter uses less force to get the water up unto the top??

Btw my shrimp aren't like BABY cherry shrimp, they are sorta normal sized.. Here's a short video I made when I discovered the poor basterds. (Am I allowed to say that word here? I hope..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UFOCo9xxM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store