This is a male molly correct?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
When I first got this molly, I was new (still am) at sexing them. The LFS said this was a female and honestly it looked more like a female several months ago when it was younger. Now he looks very much like a male. I had mollies for two years with no babies and well now I have babies -- no babies until I got this male. I may have been lucky with females too young to be pregnant when they came home from the LFS.. Time to switch to a different type of fish that does not have babies. Initially the mollies were a gift for my daughter and I like the way they look but obviously you will run out of tank unless you have people to take the babies all the time. The person who got the mollies for my daughter did not realize they live bearers and still maintains I will not have babies in the tank. I can not wait to show her the tank when she comes by today ;-)

photo (1).JPG

photo (1).JPG

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
In a male the anal fin is modified to form a tube called a gonopodium. From the pic it looks male.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yes, that's a male.

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
I wish I had learned more about fish, tanks, equipment, etc before my daughter was given a tank at the age of three years old. I like to prepare for stuff, not learn after the fact. Note to anyone: Don't give young children fish tanks as gifts without asking the parents! Ok, done complaining. I just feel so stupid for having a tanks that is probably about to explode with babies and its my fault for not understanding all this stuff better!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
do keep in mind the lovely Ac feature called the Marketplace. Mollies were HUGE when I first joined here but I have not seen any offered for sale in years. Fish popularity runs in cycles and I for one would be happy to take some babies off your hands. Your LFS should have Kordon breather bags and USPS priority shipping is just 6 or 7 bucks (haven't checked lately) and it is always the buyer who pays for shipping.

This is moving into the perfect shipping weather, neither too hot or too cold. And you might want to sell the male too, although it will take some time for the Baby Problem to abate completely since the females can store sperm for several months. But the supply will eventually be exhausted and your daughter will in the meantime have learned valuable lessons on the virtue of Zero Population Growth. :)

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
XanAvaloni -- Wow.. you make me feel better suggesting someone will want to take the babies and/or male off my hands. After two years with the one black male molly never having babies despite being with several female mollies - I thought I was free of population explosion issues. Thus, I am pretty sure the dad is a cremesicle lyretail molly (hehe or so I was told at the LFS) and the mom has to be the silver molly. The only other female is young and slender and a dalmatian. The babies are gaining color and we have 4 sliver looking fry and 3 cremesicle colored fry. I am happy to ship mollies (dad, mom and babies) for cost of shipping only (as long as the shipping is safe for the fish). It will be fun for my preschooler to watch the fry grow but that is fun for one time IMO and gets old quickly! Many other non baby making fish out there to stock a tank with in the future!

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
it's a boy!! I have the same situation. Got a few, then some really small ones....now I have more! I'm not out of room yet, but I may be in the same boat as you. LFS may take them, or just ask around.

If it makes you feel any better, my mother went through this with us and pets when we were kids, except someone gave us a male and female guinea pig. We didn't think it was fair that they never got to play together even though mom said they had to live in separate houses. So they played together. Eventually, my mother had to try to explain how we had 4 more very small guinea pigs one morning!

lynniecat

AC Members
Oct 16, 2013
LOL... ok .. I will try to find a taker for my male molly and the male fry and the up and coming male fry from more spawns. Yikes!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Darn gonopodium. Nothin' but trouble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store