55 gallon stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
SO many options! I generally prefer a lot of smaller fish as I enjoy the interaction of the fish with eachother. You mentioned oscar, so I assume you want to go bigger. My problem with that is you are limited to only one or a few fish. Not that it's always a problem, I just find watching 1 fish boring. Furthermore, I don't feel it's a good idea to get a bunch of fish when they are small, knowing you will intend to eventually rehome all but 1 or 2. SO you are stuck with watching them slowly grow into the tank, or buy find someone with the right, already mature fish. Now that's all just my opinion.

What are your thoughts or ideas? Anything you want to have? Anything you don't?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
A 55 is big enough to have several pairs of one of the dwarf cichlids. If you can't do soft water your options are more limited but there are some that would work. Then you would get interesting behavior and some smart fish as well.

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I took a trip down to the lfs yesterday,they had some gold Severums and Raphael cats. What tankmates could go with those and how many severums could I keep in the 55?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Severum would be great alone, as the centerpiece. Also, raphael cats are freaking adorable, and their temperament makes them great tankmates for other bottom dwellers should you want them. You'll want ample cave or cover of some sort for your raphaels. They are susceptible to hiding in the corner if there is not enough cover in the tank for them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store