30 gallon ideas, with shellies (maybe)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I've been sitting on an empty 30 gal for about 5 years now. Finally getting back to where I have the time and money to set it up. The idea was to have it up and running by now, but a possible promotion coming in November has caused me to wait a little bit so I can invest in it a little more. I've got a HOB filter from a 55 gal (think it's a penguin biowheel, but I'd have to dig it out to be sure), I need to buy 2 heaters for it, has a single fluorescent t-8 fixture, and I have a spare rio 180 power head if I need to get some more current going. I was originally going to go with Malawis, but have been leaning towards shellies. Right now it has some 2-3" river rock as substrate, with a few bigger pieces I can use for hidey holes. My thoughts are to kind of stack the smaller stuff to one side, put in play sand so one side is all sand (where the shells will be) moving towards the smaller rocks emerging from the sand at the other side. Then I would stack the other larger rocks on that side.

I'm looking for ideas, and as I have a couple months until setup, I can mull them over. Not sure if I want multis, or another type. I have 4 khuli loaches that were going to go in that tank before I decided I wanted to do Africans. Not sure if they will still work, though I have read where loaches are ok with them. How many and of what type of shellies do you think? What are some other interesting options for the upper part of the tank? Any other tang cichlids that will coexist and still fit in the 30g? Any lower light live plants with a good enough root system that wont get pulled up, or am I stuck with fakes? Anything I've missed?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'd go with a group of gold ocellatus if you can find them. One male with 3 or four females and at least a dozen large snail shells; at least three shells per fish, more if you can. With extra shells you may get to see shell-burying behavior. If available nowhere else, Hobby Lobby or another craft store usually has the snail shells cheap. Back when I had my brevis I bought a whole bag of the shells at Hobby Lobby for around 10 bucks. Sand substrate will work well. You already know they come from very hard water.

For tankmates, I'd go with a few tough livebearers like swords or mollies and maybe a school of danios to cruise the top. You may even be able to keep a few eretmodus up in the rocks in lieu of livebearers and danios, though a few mollies or swords would provide occasional live food.

edit: Make sure the shells are big; shellies like to get inside the shells.

Mark

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store