Peacock Eel Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Before I start, I want to say that (for now) this post is completely hypothetical. I am a beginning fish owner and this is a bit too big for me right now, but I am curious.

I absolutely love spiny eels; from the first video I saw I wanted a fire eel. However, I feel like that would be way too much for me to handle. So I'll jump right to it; I'm planning on maybe getting a 30-40 gallon tank this coming winter/spring, and want the focus of it to be a peacock eel. I've been reading and watching about them for the past week now; things like their diet, habitat, water conditions. But one thing I couldn't find much on was suitable tank mates. This begs a very simple question: What goes well with a peacock eel in a 35 gallon tank? Here are some of the other fish that I'd really love to be part of the same tank (not all of them, I'm just brainstorming!); please tell me if they aren't compatible with peacocks or would need more space.

1-3 glass/bumblebee catfish
Ocellated spiny eel
rasboras
betta(s) (male/female?)
tetras

For the sake of this forum, pretend I know absolutely nothing about tank compatibility (which I sort of don't). Feel free to suggest other fish, or just reject the whole concept. If 35 gallons is too small for anything more than the peacock, please tell me! I just don't want to go under/overboard when and if I actually get this setup. Any help/comment is appreciated! <3

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would consider a 35 to be the minimum for one peacock, and not plan on having much else in with it. A 50+ would be much better.

In terms of companions--the considerations are something that will be too big to be eaten. Smaller rasboras/tetras will be snacks for an adult peacock, but some of the larger species would be fine. Glass cats and bumblee cats are very different animals. I have vespas, and I wouldn't put them in with an eel because they are SUPER fast and would out compete the eel for foods. With tetras and other fish in, you'll need to feed after lights out to ensure the eel gets enough (or target feed, provide foods too big for the other fish but not too big for the eel).

A harem of female bettas would likely be just fine.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
All right, thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into maybe a 55 gallon tank, or if I can't do that just settle for the peacock eel alone with maybe one other fish too big for it to eat. I've never looked into female bettas before; how many of them would there need to be? And going back to the catfish, I understand they are different but do you think either of them would be suitable with a peacock? And if not, are there any other suggestions you could make? If I'm correct peacock eels don't get much bigger than 14 or 16 inches, so I'd assume anything bigger than 4 or 5 would survive fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, though! I appreciate all the help.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I have a couple of Tanganykian spiny eels, much more enjoyable than peacocks or other Asian species that like to stay buried in the sand. One is a plagiostoma,orange and black banded, the other is a tanganicae, sort of a leopard spotted brown pattern. Both are smaller species, narrower and a bit smaller than peacock eels, not more than 8" long. I had kept a pair of plagiostoma in a 29 for a couple years w/out any problems, lost them during a power outage. They spawned a number of times, but the tank was set up with reverse-flow UG filtration and the male kept eating the eggs shortly after spawning. Tank was completely covered, but the two I have now are in a 125 with cichlids with openings at the top for hob filters. Unlike the other spiny eels the Tanganykians don't try to find any available escape route or even seem interested in the outflow from the hob filters. I lost some Synodontis petricola catfish to the filter outflows, they landed on the glass tops instead of in the tank on the return trip after swimming up the filter outflow. A 40 breeder would be fine for either species, as well as a pair of Julidiochromis cichlids. They are fairly rare, but you'll have plenty of time to find one or two online between now and the time you set up the tank. Mine eat NLS pellets along with the cichlids, occasionally frozen bloodworms. The first pair of plagiostoma were fed the bloodworms exclusively in their own tank, which kept them fatter and spawning in season, but it's not necessary.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Regardless of tank size remember the escape factor. I have rescued eels from the carpet on a couple of occasions over the years. I have not had them in a while but they are interesting and fun to have. You can't put too much effort into escape proofing your tank.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
I'll keep all of that in mind! Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I think I'm coming into possession of a 10-gallon soon, but that's far too small for any eel. I'm all excited about it, though! I figured eels were pretty curious and try to find a way out. Anyways, Maybe around Thanksgiving I'll have found a tank on Craigslist big (and cheap) enough to house an eel. Until then, I'll keep trying to learn more about 'em!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Best of luck finding the tank and you did a very smart thing, you asked. People on the forum have a ton of knowledge and can save you time, money and heart break when your $60 fish is dried up on the floor.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
well if you dont think you can do maintenance on a big tank like that.then look into kuli loaches.they are like little eels.hey hennincs long time no see.my user name is big b from af.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store