sump/media questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frostbite1084

AC Members
Aug 27, 2014
So I've been googling all kinds of questions about media's and sumps and honestly I got like 100 different answers that all contradicted themselves. I know this is a very odd question, but is there any sump/media experts that I could text and send pictures of my set up to? My gf has my laptop so I can't post picture, so texting would be easiest. I'm not a creep or anything. Just want answers from someone who knows what they're talking about and can look at my set ups

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I'm no expert, but a lot of stuff is personal preference, or what people have experience with. I'm low budget, so I tend to use HOB filters all the time, but in the same regards, people would say it's better to one side, others in the middle. I use the standard filter media in them with acceptable results. Some folks may say it would be better with "x" media. Post the question and see what people say, then use that to make a choice. You can always change it if it's not doing what you want.

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
I have been keeping fish for over 20 years and the people in these forums always surprise me with their education, experience, and stories.

Even without pictures if you post more info about your setup you will get a good series of qualified results. There are literally thousands of years of fishkeeping experience represented on this website.

I am a loyal sump user and prefer that to all other primary methods of filtration. I can tell you what I have used and there are a number of professional and hobby scientists who can explain why one thing works and why another does not. Be specific. Share tons of info and you will get some great answers.

What size tank do you have? What is in it now? What do you want in it? What filter do you currently have? What media are you currently using? What are your current water parameters? What are your goals?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I find it funny. When I was newly into things I didn't have the time money or patience to try "the ultimate setup" . Now that I do I hear it has gone out of style. I've learned a bit, and think the logic behind another idea is sound, only to be shut out by someone who has tried it and found it not to work.

I would say, barring any sensitive plants, having undergravel filter plates, with ports at either side of the tank, plumb a tee into a canister filter's OUTLET to either side.(should be rated at 50% of needed filtration with 2 in line heaters in each side, both rated at 33% of need) then use 2 HOB filters rated at 25% of need each on either side of the tank. The INLET of the can would be center bottom, with 2 submersible heaters rated at 30% of need each to either side. Then, assuming current happy fish, a pair of powerheads on one side with sponge filters creating a river effect, or for non currrent happy fish, put them both at one side facing forward. I would use a variety of media. Every water change, only 1 media would be swished in the removed water. You see, there are so many options. I would LOVE a setup like I described if I had the right tank with the right fish. The wrong fish/plants/etc. it would be a disaster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store