Beginner betta tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
College in New Hampshire, Home in Maine
Real Name
Luke
Right now I have two bettas in small separate tanks, but I'm looking to transfer one of them into a 10 gallon. What do you suppose would be a good setup for this in terms of substrate, decoration, tankmates, etc. Would two or three glass/cory catfish do well, maybe with a few cherry shrimp? Or is that too much? Any help is appreciated!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I don't think that's too much at all. Although I would go with more corries as they like to be in groups. maybe 5 or 6 and pick from the smaller variety so they have some room. I personally wouldn't do corries and shrimp, just because you will have a lot going on in the bottom and not much else (don't think it would be a problem though) As for substrate and decor, anything you like. a few small pieces of rock or even the silly sunken ships or crashed planes to give the cories places to hide. Fake plants tall enough to give the beta something to play in would look nice.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
That many? I've read in other places that set ups like this would be far too overwhelming.

Does anyone know any smaller non-schooling fish that could do well with a betta and 2 or 3 shrimp? The only experience I've got so far is two small betta-only tanks and I really don't want to overdo it on my first try.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Some people would say that many is too much. I don't think so if you went with the pygmy or other smaller ones. I've never really kept bettas long term, and I know anything that nips fins is a bad idea. Guppies perhaps? I don't have a problem with smaller tetras in a 10 gallon, though some people think you need larger. FWIW tetras are nicer to look at in a school of 20-30 in a large tank, but I have 8 in my 10 gallon. I feel so long as your bio-load is where you can keep up with nitrates through small weekly water changes, and the fish have room to swim, it's all good.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
I actually hadn't come across pygmy corys; most I looked at were about 3 inches or bigger, but I can see where you're coming from with them! 5 or 6 of them might do well with a betta and a couple of ghost or cherry shrimp. If I were to go with this option, do you think I'd need a finer substrate than the colored aquarium gravel I have for my bettas right now? Perhaps sand, or something in between.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
A group of 6-10 C. Habrosus, Hastatus or Pygmaeus would likely be fine. Or maybe 6ish of an Aspidoras species.

just keep an eye in nitrates in your tank, and ensure that waterchanges are performed to keep levels down.

Shrimp would likely end up as snacks for the betta, and the catfish species listed wouldn't necessarily be solely bottom dwellers either.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
They should always be fed a variety. Frozen brine shrimp, flake, an occasional half an algae wafer, NLS mini, etc. Your betta should receive a variety of foods as well.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
They should always be fed a variety. Frozen brine shrimp, flake, an occasional half an algae wafer, NLS mini, etc. Your betta should receive a variety of foods as well.

Mark
+1

Basically what you should be feeding corydoras.

BsLuFs

Hobbyist
Sep 10, 2014
Real Name
Luke
Awesome; thanks for the advice, guys! My bettas right now are eating only flakes. I bought some pellets but they're too big for their mouths and sink rather quickly. I'm heading over to my LFS tomorrow, hopefully to pick up some silk plants and one or two shrimp as a test. Will bettas eat frozen brine shrimp as well? And is there any brand of pellets for smaller-mouthed bettas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store