dropping ph and kh

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ddoan

AC Members
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I think my substrate is not inert even though I tested it. Anyways,
I want to know if putting muriatic acid in the tank in small diluted concentrations can be a solution to fix the kh and ph spike? I really don't want to tear down the tank and restart.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Really bad idea. Adding acid to the tank is only going to cause more problems. The pH alteration won't be permanent.

If you want to change it you'll need to find a way to counter pH spike on a more lasting basis. Just as you can add things lik crushed coral or baking soda to raise pH you can also add things to drop it. Peat moss I THINK is one of those things.

How long has the tank been set up? Sometimes whatever is causing the spike will run its course. For instance, adding driftwood can cause the pH to drop but as water changes are done and the tannins leach out of the wood, the pH slowly rises again.

If you just added the substrate I would either tear it down now and start over or give it some time to make sure the results you're seeing a somewhat permanent. Otherwise you'll be playing a see saw game that will get frustrating real quick with you adding chemicals to counteract one thing and then adding more to counteract that.

Remember, in the end, the less crap you add to your water the better of you fish will be.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store