Metal hose clamps vs. plastic OEM hose clamps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bradleyheathhay

AC Members
Oct 19, 2011
I'm setting up two large 2078 Eheim canister filters using green Eheim hose, the larger 16/22mm size. A 300w in-line hydor heater is being added in the middle of each of the tank return hoses. All this makes six lengths of hose with 12 end connections to make altogether. All equipment hose attachment mechanisms are the same; a cone shaped barb you push the hose onto and a plastic ring you screw down to cinch up the hose. I started to question this type of connection mechanism when I initially attached a hose to one of the Eheim tank inlet spray bars. Pushed the hose all the way up, but when I screwed the included plastic ring down to cinch the hose it never caught well and screwed completely down past it's intended clamping point. So I thought maybe it'd be better to use metal hose clamps instead. Is it common practice to use metal hose clamps in these applications or are they not recommended as they might wear the hose out more quickly than the other type connection? Thanks

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have classic 2217s. I use the factory hose fittings except where I extended the intake hoses to reach the opposite end of my 125gal. For the hose extensions I used nylon barb fittings and stainless steel hose clamps. I would be more concerned about damaging the plastic cone end with a metal hose clamp than about damage to the hose itself.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store