Unkown illness infecting numerous fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reesekj

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2014
Tank: 29 gal, fresh
76 degrees F
30% water changes weekly
Established for 9 months
Filtration: Fluval c4
Sand substrate.
Both fake and live plants.
Water params are all very good, though pH has been quite low for a long time, and is 'normal' for the tank.

Occupants: 1 adult angelfish, 4 brilliant rasbora, 5 black phantom tetras

Syptoms: white 'stuff' appearing on fins and body. this stuff isnt just on their skin, but protrudes.

I am having a flare-up of an unknown illness that has swept this tank at least 4 times now. Killed 2 schools of 4 giant danios and 2 pictus cats. Quarantined danios and treated with rid-ich. Rid-ich appeared to clear them up, but then the illess woudl flare up again in a week and kill them.

Here's the kicker, This time, when the phantoms showed the early stages of getting sick, I caught them with a net and brought them to the pet store for diagnosis. When I got there and presented te tetras to the aquarist, the white blobs on them were gone! They looked perfectly healthy. This makes me think that the act of catching them with a net and transporting them shook off whatever was growing on them.

In every case of this disease flaring up, it has affected the giant danios, and the angelfish and rasboras never whoed signed and are active and healthy. This time around with the tetras, 1 of the rasboras shows a couple small spots showing he may be getting sick. 2 of the tetras look ill.

Here are picture of the current state of the phantom tetras, and the advanced state of the disease on a late-danio. The tetra has a 'thing' on his chin, white patches on the tips of pectoral fins, and a couple spots on dorsal and anal fins.

ill_gdanio.pngill_phantom.jpg

ill_gdanio.png ill_phantom.jpg

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
looks like Ick to me...
Have you added any new fish, or plants lately?

I prefer to treat with salt & heat....
1-3 teaspoons of salt is added per gallon of tank water added SLOWLY over 1-2 days (while watching fish' reaction) and the temperature is SLOWLY adjusted to 84-86 F. You can use plain “Aquarium Salt” which is simply sodium chloride, I used non Iodized table salt, and I have been told you can use regular iodized table salt.
You need to add the salt slowly, watching for adverse reactions, especially with Catfish, loaches, and similar.
Continue treatment until ALL spots are gone and the CONTINUE treatment for another 3-5 days past this point.

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
And if this is all in a single tank, quarantining will not help, you must treat the whole tank.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
A friend of mine used Kick-ich a month a go, said it worked for him.
Usually is a cause of stress and intro of something new to the tank as stated above.
Some members just up the temp in the tank.

DirtyJob

AC Members
Apr 27, 2013
You can use the heat & salt method or just buy an Ich treatment & use that. Both have their advantages & disadvantages. The salt & heat method works by speeding up Ich's incubation cycle (by raising the heat to about 82° F) & then killing the Ich tomites by increasing the osmotic pressure of the water (by adding salt). Using salt is effective but like Zigman said add the salt SLOWLY & observe closely. Yea it works but it can be stressful on the fish especially catfish (like he said) & even other fish. I've lost cories using salt & heat but I've also lost tetras using it too. Also keep in mind that raising the heat decreases oxygen levels (which contributes to stress & subsequent losses) in the tank so throw in some extra air stones or a powerhead for extra aeration. It'll definitely eradicate the Ich from the tank though.

Ich meds work too but most are lethal to inverts, it'll say so right on the bottle. Also a lot of them contain malachite green which will stain your tank's silicone & airline tubing blue/green. I've used Aqua-sol Ich Cure & Kordon's Rid Ich Plus. Both have worked for me just fine. I still use Kordon's during quarantines of new fish just to be on the safe side & haven't had problems with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store