New Tank- Planning Flora

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
After almost a year of taking a break from aquaria to adjust to high school and explore a newfound interest in amphibians, I think I'm ready to jump back into the aquatic world. I have piles of empty ten gallon tanks sitting around, and I would like to do a Betta fish tank with some RCS, and maybe some Pygmy cories or something (though I never had much luck with cories). I want to keep it really simple to fit in with my busy frog keeping schedule.

I'd like to plant this tank. My question is, what sort of plants should I do? I want it to be low-medium light with no CO2 and limited fertilizer. Substrate will most likely be black sand, and the filtration will be a sponge filter or two.

I also wonder what lighting I should have. I'd like to decide that after I know exactly what flora I want, so we can think about that later. I have experience with T5HO. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Been doing some research, and I'm pretty sure I know what plants I want. For the foreground, a carpet of Pygmy chain swords. For background, anacharis, and maybe crypts for contrast (though I've been unlucky with crypts). I'll have driftwood for some Anubia nana, and lastly, a java moss wall in the back.

What would be the best lighting for these plants? Also, what would be a good fertilizer situation? I don't want to do CO2. I might do excel, but not sure if that's good for shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Sorry, didn't see the second part of your question - I use few drops of Tetra Flora pride + 1ml of API CO2 Booster (I like it better than Excel) every day in a 20 gal. It's about as low maintenance as you can get.

I don't know if liquid carbon supplements are good for shrimp or not. I don't keep them

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store