redoing my 20 gallon.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
since i got some bad black neons from petsmart and even though i qt them for a week they infested my tank with ich,now most of my fish are dead.so i am now holding them in a 10 gallon and treating them for ich but many have died and little are left,here is what i had 6 black neons,6neons,a gorgeus betta,and a electric blue ram.i now have 1 neon,1 electric blue ram,and 4 black neons and 1 for i am certain of is gonna die.so after tonight there will only be 3 black neons.:(i have a bulldog pleco in my 20 gallon that was unaffected by it.so what do yall think would work with it,and i really want to sue petsmart.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i forgot to add this but i cant edit my post so here it is i kinda want it to be friendly with a handful of fishes, semi-aggressive with a few fish,or a aggressive cichlid that wont mess with my plants or my pleco.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
A 20 gallon a little small for an aggressive cichlid, also depends on what what you want to try. Convect Cichlids are aggressive, but should be kept in a speices only tank or in pairs with no other fish, which is the down side. Theres a few others but just be weary, Kribensis are nice but and a bit nasty if you have a breeding pair. I would stick to the rams for a 20g.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
... i really want to sue petsmart.
Really?? I rarely shop Petsmart, but they do have a return policy for deceased fish. Plus, you can get ich from the best pet shop around. It's a risk that's always going to be there when you plunk a new fish into a tank.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Petco/Petsmart's return policy for dead fish does not include the ones you already owned, just the ones you bought. I had a similar problem at one point and lost a bunch of 6+ year old fish due to ich and septicemia from one of petco's fish. They wouldnt even consider covering the cost of the medicine to treat them. Best idea is a 2 week quarantine and make sure there isnt a single sign of disease before you move them into your established tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, it's a mistake we've all made. It's always a risk when you don't quarantine, especially when you drop something brand-new into a tank that's not had anything added to it for years.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Best idea is a 2 week quarantine and make sure there isnt a single sign of disease before you move them into your established tank.
This.

well, maybe more than 2 weeks.

and keep a completely separate set of equipment (nets, filter, etc) to use on the QT tank.

use the time for observation.. personally I'd go at least a week or two without ANY signs of disease/illness/stress before moving anything into a main tank (or just using a new tank for a species specific tank whenever I buy more fish.... ;) ) and make sure you have quick access (or have already at home) anything you might need to treat fish.

This isn't a hobby for the impatient.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
This.

well, maybe more than 2 weeks.

and keep a completely separate set of equipment (nets, filter, etc) to use on the QT tank.

use the time for observation.. personally I'd go at least a week or two without ANY signs of disease/illness/stress before moving anything into a main tank (or just using a new tank for a species specific tank whenever I buy more fish.... ;) ) and make sure you have quick access (or have already at home) anything you might need to treat fish.

This isn't a hobby for the impatient.
I'd add, "...or the lazy."

I use the following quarantine procedure...30 days with no sign of illness in a separate QT tank with it's own equipment. If during that initial 30 day period a disease shows, I treat it until it's gone, then reset the 30-day clock. Nothing is completely foolproof but this method has worked for me. As for suing a fish store; good luck with that. The fish you bought from there may not have been there long enough to show any signs of disease. If they were evidently diseased when you bought them, the mistake was yours. If you didn't properly quarantine the new fish before you put them in with your old fish, the mistake was yours. Own up to your mistakes, learn from them, don't repeat them.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd add, "...or the lazy."
I know a few aquarists that would beg to differ ;)

But yeah... the longer the better. And you can mitigate problems by buying from someone who quarantines new stock as a matter of course.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok yeah,yeah.my fault,dont sue them,and qt them for longer.yes i will do that.but what should i add?i think my ram will live and if he dies i can get a replacement.so either way i am gonna get a electric blue ram.but if he dies after the warranty is up(VERY unlikely)then i might go with the convict.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store