Disease, please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
I recently bought two red wag platys from Petco (which I most likely will not be going to again due to the state of the fish- instead to a LFS thats a bit farther away) for my newly cycled tank (about 8 days since finished cycling). The fish were bought Saturday and acclimated greatly, and they showed no signs of illness or stress. They ate flakefood, blood worms, and even nipped at some algae wafers. Today I came home to discover one of the platys stuck onto the intake of the filter. I immediately check parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites). The rest of the fish (2 Corys - i am getting more as soon as the LFS has some.- and 6 amano shrimp) were all happily in their own business, corys digging and amanos eating. The other platy was doing just fine showing no signs of stress. Upon further inspection, there seems to be a white patch of skin, which I thought to be ich, but the patch is too big and does not protrude. Is this common? Maybe the fish just didn't make it, but I need to be sure. My setup is an aquaclear 50, 29 gallon tank, and live plants. What do I do?
:help::help:

Thanks

PICS
IMG_0602.JPGIMG_0600.JPGIMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG IMG_0602.JPG

DirtyJob

AC Members
Apr 27, 2013
Hard to tell from the pics provided, but it looks like it could be the start of a fungal infection. Fairly common occurrence, get yourself some Pimafix & treat according to the instructions on the bottle. Just make sure to run an extra air pump with & air stone or an extra power head (if you have either one handy) if you are dosing with Pimafix (or Melafix) as they tend to deplete oxygen from the water.

For future reference try to keep both Pimafix & Melafix handy in addition to a good Ich treatment. If you have these three basic/common meds handy you can head off a lot of diseases that you might encounter before they become big problems.

Better yet, get yourself a 5g or 10g tank & use it to quarantine new fish before adding them to your main tank, it'll save you lots of grief. Even a 5g bucket from Home Depot or Lowe's would work as long as you throw in filter with some media from an establish tank & a small heater. You can't observe your fish as well in a 5g bucket as you could in a glass tank but still beats just adding fish from questionable sources into your main tank & then having to treat the WHOLE tank instead of just a few fish. Plus when you are done you can break down the bucket & use it for regular maintenance. Just a suggestion....

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for the info, I have already added a spare power head, and ill look into the spot more

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Platys, mollys, etc. are bad stock from chain stores. Overbred and overstressed.

Dr. Aqua

AC Members
Jan 28, 2007
Near Montreal, Quebec
Hi,
With all due respect to DirtyJob, do not waste your money and crucial time to treat your fish with Pimafix or Melafix: they simply don't work. You should check the disease called Sliminess of Fish or Slime disease if the white patch is not a cauliflower-like growth. See the article (and perhaps articles you will find on other sites following your search) http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/slime-disease.aspx
A "must have" book on fish disease is Dr. Chris Andrews and Adrian Exell's "Manual of Fish Health" in paperback and hardcover.
Good luck

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Poor platy just looks beat-up and stressed out to me. Tail is all nipped. Personally, I'd just keep pristine water params (super low nitrates) and bring these poor buggers back to great health- which is totally do-able, even with Petco/smart fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store