To many fish for my 37g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Ever since I restocked my 37g a month and a half ago from what was in it to whats in it now. It looks fuller and the movement calms me down from a very stressful day at work(even though I work with fish daily there) and most of my fish came from there. I just caught up on my water changes since I just got another bucket, I skipped a whole month on both my tanks due to my old bucket being destoried. I took out a lot of waste. x.x

Here's the tank info for who don't know:
Aquaclear 50 (staying till I can get a 70 to replace it. its for my 20g.)
Marineland 100 Pengiun (this will be taken off and given to a co-worker for his tank)
LED Lighting 8-10 hours a day (No Algae issues ever!)
Test results, stay the same daily:
Ammonia: 0 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 5-10 PPM (sometimes goes up to 20 PPM)
PH: 7.6

Here's the stock:
2 Zebra angelfish
14 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Albino Cory, I know he needs friends
3 SA Bumblebee Catfish
5 Platies
1 Swordtail
1 random male betta
1 SAE/flying fox

This is a 3 yr old tank and still going strong, expect a mass die off where almost all my fish died, but rehomed some before they died to.

What the old stock was: (most of these died off, expext the bettas, rehomed them, they were getting nasty)
8 Female bettas
10 Rummynoses
6 Cories
3 SA Bumblebee Catfish

the stock from a year and up to the mass die off
Angelfish pair (used to be one female angel)
10 Black Neon Tetras
4 Cories
3 SA Bumblebee Catfish
5 Kuhli Loaches (the 2 remaining are in a 20)

But the new stock I have now seems to be pushing the limit or may be over but I know the full size of angels and the cats and rasboras are full grown. Tanks are always a work in progress if I say, mostly with planted tanks.

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Did you plug your stats into http://aqadvisor.com ? This site is always very helpful to me in trying to figure out how much of what can live where. It's a good place to start.

According to them, your tank is overstocked ... 171% (here's the stats). Their recommended water change 25%, twice a week.

othertank.png

Here's my stock/stats for my 36 gallon for comparison ... says I'm at 116% with 18 fish. I looks like you've got about 10 more than me. Even tho I'm overstocked too all fish have been very happy and healthy for a long time. I have a very thick java fern jungle in the tank that probably helps a lot. The more plants, the better. For an extra boost add a bundle of super fast growing plants like najas. You can let najas float or get it to root at the bottom.

AquStockImage.php.png

I won't say your stock isn't doable because I don't really know. All you can do is give it a try, keep up with the water changes and perhaps add a second filter or more plants.

AquStockImage.php.png othertank.png

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So far so good. You may want to rethink the swordtail, they get pretty long/big for a 30 inch tank, same with the SAE/fox. Watch for the angels to harass the betta as they get larger, Bumblebee cats, I have no experience with but they are cute! & as you said the cory needs several friends. As all you fish are still small there isn't an issue now...but there will be, especially if you skip water changes in the future.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I know the full size of angels and I had a betta with my old breeding pair, no issues. As for the swordtail... I never had them grow over 3", but had mollies grow to 5-6" in an older tank. I might take the SAE into work once the sick tank at work doesn't have fish in it. My bumblebee cats stay on the small side, 2-3" max and 2 are past their life span(which is 4-5 yrs, they are 6). I lost a rasbora so Im down to 13 of them...

I'm getting either an Aquaclear 70 or 110 for the 37 in due time... the 50 is for the 20, but will stay on the 37 to cycle the 70 or 110. Which should I get?

My rasboras are full grown and used to be in my 20g, till I moved them to the 37g 2 months ago. I don't want to get rid of them either.. I could cut the school down and add a few more cories for the lone cory. Would that be a bit better?

Heres an updated picture. It's not cloudly anymore.. I kicked up some sand when I was moving stuff around to plant Large Swords.

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2859.JPG

seaecho

AC Members
Oct 9, 2013
First of all, I love your tank set up! It's simple, yet it works! Very pleasing to the eye.

If a betta worked with your old breeding pair of Angels, you were very lucky. A lot of Angels are aggressive period, even if there is just a single fish with no breeding activity going on. Yours are babies now, but when they get bigger, I fear real trouble. The Angels could go after anything really, but I'm most worried about your platies. They are fast, but not quite as fast as the smaller fish you have in there. I think trouble is on the horizon just because of the Angels. And as for the betta, well, I'd hate to see the Angels shred him up when they become mature...

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I had a huge 9" tall female angel for 5 years, she was not aggressive to anything, never ate my black neons, never chased anything, nor go after bettas or baby angelfish. I know how angels are, as long the fish are to big to be eaten they are fine. The Harlequins have a bulky body and can't be eaten by full grown angel and the platies will be fine with adult angels. Normally if angels grow up with other fish, they don't harrass them or chase them.

I did move 2 platies to my 20g.

This was my old angel. I know how they are and their size. She could of eaten my neons and guppies, but she never did. She never touched fry either.

IMG_0138.JPGIMG_0937.JPGIMG_0956.JPGIMG_1031.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0956.JPG IMG_1031.JPG

fwiffo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2007
OK, first of all, your tank looks superb! I think it's beautiful and well taken are of. I would get the aquaclear 70. It's not a budget buster for a fish filter (aquaclear 110s run 70-80 dollars usually) and it's powerful. I run a cascade 300, working strong and silent. But the casade filter artridges are expensive, so i ut my own with foam. In my opinion, your tank isn't overstoked, although I would be hesitant to add more fish, unless they're small like tetras or something! You get the idea...!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store