Small Loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alexw57

Registered Member
Sep 18, 2014
Hey guys,

Im looking for adviceon small loaches that would be at home in a 30L x12Wx18H tank (about23 gallons apparently), and recommendations for low light easy tokeep plants (I have green thumb of death, so easy to maintain trumpsbiotope here) to give them a natural environment along with sand somesmoothed rocks and bogwood. So any advice on how to set the tank upwould be very welcome

I know they have to bekept in groups and Im hoping to keep a shoal of between 6-10 (more ifthey would be happy), as a species tank although if there is capacitya few midwater fish would be welcome but the loaches are thepriority. Ive done some reseach on smaller species and these are theones ive found

Vietnamese HoveringZebra Loach (Micronemacheilus cruciatu) I believe these are mostlywild caught though and dont want to keep wild caught fish?

Dwarf Chain Loach(Yasuhikotakia siathimunki)

Zebra Loach (BotiaStriata) this is possibly my favorite looking

Sand Loach(Acanthocobitis urophthalmus)

Cherry Fin Loach(Acanthocobitis rubidipinnis)

Black Lined Loach(Yasuhikotakia nigrolineata)

Zodiac Loach(Mesonoemacheilus triangularis)

Inle Loach (Yunnanilusbrevis)

Victory Loach (Shisturascaturigina)

Burmese Border Loach(Schistura mahnerti)

Polka Dotted Loach(Schistura geisleri)

Basically tried to keepit below 3.5 inches, I know some of these are really rare and wildcaught, Ive no intention of trying to breed even the species itspossible too so id prefer non threatened just for sustainability.

So my question is hasanyone kept these? are any of these suitable for my tank size? Ireally love watching loaches but dont want to put them in too smallan area and this is the biggest I can fit in

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
You don't mention sewellia lineolata, or Vietnamese hillstream loach. I currently keep and breed (well, I keep, they breed !) a group of 10 or so in my 46 gal BF. People say you need current and flow and cooler temps to keep them, but I have had mine for about 5 years, in a community tank at 80°, and 0 flow except for the 2 AC 70 filters that are on the tank. And they breed all the time. Very easy to keep. Very cool to watch. And they max out at about 2" - maybe. I also keep dwarf chain loaches in the same tank (about 6 or 7), and they are pretty cool, too. They are the energizer bunnies of the fish world - they never stop. I like the sewellias the most. When they press up against the glass, you can see their little hearts beating. Good luck.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
You don't mention sewellia lineolata, or Vietnamese hillstream loach. I currently keep and breed (well, I keep, they breed !) a group of 10 or so in my 46 gal BF. People say you need current and flow and cooler temps to keep them, but I have had mine for about 5 years, in a community tank at 80°, and 0 flow except for the 2 AC 70 filters that are on the tank. And they breed all the time. Very easy to keep. Very cool to watch. And they max out at about 2" - maybe. I also keep dwarf chain loaches in the same tank (about 6 or 7), and they are pretty cool, too. They are the energizer bunnies of the fish world - they never stop. I like the sewellias the most. When they press up against the glass, you can see their little hearts beating. Good luck.
I have these also...very cool little fish.

Mark

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
hmm you just made me remember the hill stream loach.luckily i have an empty 20 gallon tank(a bad case of ich killed every fish:( )i think i may do a couple of colder water fish with them.thanks :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have kept several of those loaches & I'd say skip the striata & kubotai. Many of the others would be ok...but not in the usual numbers recommended for them. Sidthimunki are very active but a small group could work. Many schisturas are territorial you could only have 1 or maybe 2 in that size tank. I have kept a group yuannulus cruciatus & rosy loaches in a small 20g long. Kuhlis might also work well. Some on your list are very rare, good luck finding them. Sewellia are FUN fish, I love mine but I have them in a larger tank but a few could work in a 20g long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store