Fluval Chai 5 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
So, I've shut down all my tanks over the last couple of years because I'd gone back to school (What was I thinking!) and really couldn't keep up with them. Now that I'm done school I'd like to start again slowly and the first I'd like to get started is my Fluval Chai 5 gallon to put on my desk at my new store/office. Other than a betta, what would you do with this tank if it was yours? I have a deep bed of black sand and a heater for it.

Would love to hear everyone's ideas

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
not to be rude but no,no they are not.there is a big school and a normal school.there is no such thing as a small school when it comes to giving a proper school.at least 6.i have read a page on this a month or two back on small schooling fish.I'll try to dig it up for you.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok i found the thing but its on another forum.is is ok if i post it on here or will i get in major trouble on here.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
Small school meaning 6-10, kid. I know the minimal requirements of a school. Even though six seems too small for me. I have 12 neon in my tank right now and I'm still thinking it's too small. Please don't correct me.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
ok i found the thing but its on another forum.is is ok if i post it on here or will i get in major trouble on here.
You might get more respect if you post and offer advice based on personal experience rather than something you read on a forum on the internet. Was it written by a respected authority on the subject?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
and I would wonder if the Betta is decided on or not. Having a betta in there may limit other fish you can keep as they become tasty (and expensive) snacks.

I think a bunch of corydoras pygmaeus would be swell in there, or, if you can find them, a pair of dario dario.

maybe a small school of lampeyes or other blue eyed rainbow.

it really depends what you'd like to see (breeding, fish schooling, whatever) and what you have available (if you want to mail order or not for example)

Just be aware of the difference between overstocking and overcrowding, get some live plants to allow for slightly more of a bioload, and test your water.

and good luck. there are plenty of fish that will work, schooling fish also, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something that works for you.

with that tank I'd likely do a school of hara jerdoni, or convert it to a pico reef and keep pom pom crabs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store