Powerhead Aeration Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinkey

AC Members
Nov 16, 2004
Denver
Real Name
Nate
Hello,

I have a 55g aquarium with 6 goldfish that I am using mostly as a body of water from which to grow about a dozen pothos plants (enough to envelop the level of my house in vines in just a few short years). The plants are more than enough filter to maintain water quality but the fish, and the plants, appreciate good aeration.

I had a Magnum 350 canister filter on there until last night when the magnet somehow wore through the main canister resulting in approximately 7 gallons of water soaking into my living room carpet overnight.

The tank has 6 goldfish, plenty of compressed clay aquaponics pellets (plenty of bacteria to manage any bio filtration) and many, many, rooted pothos plants. I have been putting the dirty discard water from my other tanks into this one as fertilizer for the plants and every week the water quality is perfect before I add more bad water to the tank.

I am certain that simple is the best way to go from here.

What is your favorite aerating power head filter and what would your suggest? Would you bother with a UGF or just the aeration?

Thanks,
Nate

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
penguin 660 with sponge on intake...

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Ditto Bob's suggestion... with the sponge kit it becomes a "660r" or you can buy the kit separately. Penguin 660s have an option to add extra aeration thru a passive air intake on the outflow port also. Goldfish are pretty big poop machines...I'd consider a reverse flow UGF (RUGF) driven by 2 penguin 660r's

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i thought that the 660R was the reverse flow impeller and the plain 660 only pumped up from the bottom ? ? ?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the 600 r has an adapter so that it fits a over a tube if you are using UGF.
basically it's the 600 power head with a prefilter on the pick up side

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The reverse flow kit has a connector to attach the outflow from the powerhead to the top of the 'uplift' tube from the UGF too.

Personally I love the kits, I use the filter as my prefilter of choice as it just connects directly to the intake for all XP1,2,3+4 canister filters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store