Strange Dots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluemalawi

AC Members
Sep 10, 2014
Indiana
Real Name
Logan
I have just added hornwort and Malaysian Trumpet Snails to a 10 gallon planted tank, and there have been these tan spots appearing on the glass. Are they baby snails, eggs, or some kind of parasite?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1411170860559.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411171063584.jpg

DirtyJob

AC Members
Apr 27, 2013
Probably baby MTS. Hard to tell from the pics but MTS do not lay eggs they are live bearers. The babies look like little tan versions of the adults with a conical shell.

Could also be bladder snails (physid) snails or pond snails, whatever people like to call them. They are shaped more like a ball rather than a cone & they hitch hike on plants a lot but they are harmless. They do lay egg clusters that look like little globs of clear jelly. If you have both physid & MTS in the same tank one of the two will out compete the other. In my experience usually the MTS out compete the bladder snails.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i think they are to small to be eggs.but i think someone will know whose eggs they are if you tell us EVERYTHING that you have in the tank.

bluemalawi

AC Members
Sep 10, 2014
Indiana
Real Name
Logan
All I have is Anubias (not sure what kind), 1 male guppy, one TINY baby channel catfish, about 10 Malaysian trumpet snails, one olive nerite snail, and hornwort. BTW, sorry for the crappy pictures, and the dots are more shaped like the nerite snail, so I'm thinking they may be that. Are nerites asexual?

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I have tons of MTS and have never seen MTS eggs. They seem to multiply by magic. The spots don't look like MTS babies, they are too big, white and round. I had a nerite snail once that would lay white round eggs everywhere. That might be it. If it's nerite eggs they probably won't hatch, I think they need brackish water for that. My other guess might be baby pond snails from the hornwort.

Do the spots move?

Last edited:

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Probably Nerite snail eggs, only the female lays eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store