Tank ideas - 175gallon!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
My friend works at a rehab center. She suggested to the administrator that a fish tank would be a good thing to have, and they pretty much agreed. I will volunteer my time to set up the tank, and teach the maintenance staff how to service it. There are very reliable folks that will service the tank. I have some ideas in mind for stocking, but would appreciate some suggestions.

tank size: 175 gallons
requirements:
*Must be easy to maintain
*Freshwater (maybe brackish)
*fish should be very robust
*large, colorful fish (some of the patients can't see very well)
*heated or cold water tank
*no plants
*fish should not be very expensive

Please describe what type of fish would work, and the substrate and set up to use.

Thanks for your ideas!!!

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
Well, I haven't kept them so I can't offer specific suggestions but if you're looking for colorful fish and no real plants, African cichlids will probably be a good bet. they're about the most colorful FW fish you can get and they'd prefer a rocky decor as opposed to plants anyway.

Tom

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
yea but patients dont want to see a bunch of fighting.. you would have to do controlled crowding, or just hope they get along.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
If stocked correctly, an African Cichlid tank will not experience a lot of fighting, and controlled crowding is not needed. I am not familiar with the configuration of a 175 gallon tank, but I'd assume that it should have plenty of surface area.. so you should be able to get yourself a decent stocking of cichlids. Personally, I would go to a landscaping place, grab myself a load of slate, and do something like this. The contrasting colors of the cichlid against the dark aquascape of the tank should make a pretty vibrate looking tank.

If not, then I'd go with schools of brightly colored tetras with a few larger fish in their midsts (ie. gouramis, angels, etc.)

HTH
-Richer

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
yea but patients dont want to see a bunch of fighting.. you would have to do controlled crowding, or just hope they get along.
Except for the occasional squable between my adult leleupi and transcriptus or territory defending, there is very little aggression in my Tanganyikan set up. Even then, it very rarely actually gets down to fighting, it's mostly display.

Though, if it were me, I would go with some of the more mild tempered large SA cichlids, like oscars and severums. Very people friendly and large enough for most people with poor eyesite to see.

I don't know much about them, but Datnoids might also be something to look into.

Last edited:

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
tangs dont fight that much.. true.. but they also are about the most boring fish out there. they just sit there, between 2 rocks or out in the open. and never move, and they arent even colorful.. bleck!

missymoo

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
i was thinking something simular as they are really easy to keep

and a pleco
gotta have a pleco
:D

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
They would probably like angelfish. I was also going to suggest lots of rainbowfish but they are usually not cheap. How about a school of 10-15 harlequin rasboras for the top level and 10-15 rummynose tetras for the mid level? Then throw in a few pearl gouramies and a pile of cories or loaches, something for the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store