55 gallon stocking question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rablasewdfer

AC Members
Jul 23, 2014
San Diego, CA
Real Name
John
Wondering how many otocinclus I should put in my 55 gallon community tank. I understand that they have impressive appetites so i don't want to put too many in and end up starving them, this is my current stock.
1 Pearl Gourami
8 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Black Neon Tetras
3 Neon Swordtails (1 male, 2 female)
4 Ghost Shrimp

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Put a bunch in and actually feed them rather than letting them live off any algae buildup.

Just be sure to start out with good healthy stock.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
that seems about right.not to hijack the thread but like,how many would you recommend for a 20 and 29 gallon. the 20 i was thinking about 4 or 5.the 29 about 6 or 7.would that be to much?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You might have to come up with a routine for feeding otos, so the other hogs in the tank don't take over their food first. Not sure if they'll eat after lights-out like corys will.

Good choice going with otos BTW. I've got 3 Siamese algae eaters in my 55g. They're entertaining, but huge, spazzy hogs.

Just keep in mind the pain with trying to feed a specific fish in a community tank with aggressive feeders.. or should I say eaters.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
you could do what i did for a while for a fish(i forget the name,dont have him anymore)i would put a bunch of small rocks in a couple gallon jar in the sun day and night and just let them grow some algae.if you do this i would do a dozen or so jars so you always have some algae for them.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Otos can be fed fairly easily with gel-based foods, for example Repashy.

just mix it as usual, but you can, for example, apply it and let it set/dry on pieces of driftwood or other decor, maybe something tighter where larger fish cannot get in, and let the Otos graze there to their little piscine heart's content.

They aren't difficult to feed, you just need to start with healthy stock that haven't lost the will to eat between the river and your LFS.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
An old member on these forums named James0816 that use to breed otos (don't know if he still does) gave me a suggestion for feeding otos that I use to feed mine.

Basically just puree some green leafy veggies in a blender, put the pureed veggies in an empty squirt bottle, add some water along with it & shake it up well. Then turn off your filter(s) & squirt some of the mixture over the leaves of your plants. Keep your filters off for a bit to allow as much of the mixture to settle on the leaves/ornaments etc., before turning them back on. As the pureed veggies settle on the leaves the otos will work the leaves over & eat up the mixture. They'll even go after the stuff that makes it to the floor & whatever they miss cories & snails will help themselves to. My other fish (tetras & cichlids) could care less about the mixture & wait to be feed blood worms, flake food, pellets etc., so my otos are fat & happy. I use both loose leaf & canned spinach to feed my otos but any green leafy vegetable will do. If you used canned vegetables just make sure to rinse off as much of the salt as you can from them before pureeing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store