Bottom Feeder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

seachells

AC Members
Aug 18, 2014
NC
I have a 12 Gallon Fluval tank and want to put something in there to help with food my betta misses and floats to the bottom as well as algae that is on the rocks. I really don't want snails, or cories; I've read that loaches need groups and Plecos get too big. Is there anything that I could get that could be by itself in a smaller tank and actually feed off the bottom? Oh I have an Amano Shrimp but he doesn't really help. Thanks for any suggestions!

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
maybe some otos as long as you keep good water parameters? They like to be in little groups but only get about an inch or so long.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
It's a small tank so your options are limited. Have you thought about inverts like nerites? I don't know what would fit your needs with this tank's needs.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Ghost shrimp will eat leftover food, but a lot of it depends on what you are feeding. Snails and cories are generally the best bottom level cleanup crew, especially since you have a betta. However, bettas really arent recommended to be kept in a fluval edge because they NEED access to the surface and the fluval edge has a really small surface area.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Shrimp or snails would be your best bet for a low bio-load scavenger, but your beta would pick off what ever small shrimp he could eat. Nothing even remotely edible remains in my little planted 10g that's loaded with red cherry shrimp and some celestial pearl danios.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store