What is going on?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
I am sick of this. I am confused and need some help. My tank recently cycled (it's a 29 gallon), and I finally got to stock it. Before the tank finished cycling, inexperienced me decided to add fish (about 3 weeks ago). I started off with 4 corys and 6 amano shrimp. Luckily all the amanos made it, but sadly I now only have 2 corys. I did not blame my LFS i bought them from because I knew it was my fault. I have learned a lot since I first decided to get a bigger tank. Well now I could finally add fish safely, and I started with 2 red wag platys from petco (Look at my profile for the post on them). One died within a day, the other within 3. I thought it was petco's fault, but i tested the parameters. Came clean with 0 ammonia and nitrite, 10> Nitrate, PH 7.4, Temp 75.5. Then 1 week later, I whent to the LFS again to get about 8 cardinal tetras. I was excited to at least finally have some colorful fish in the tank. The first one died within an hour, I have to say something about this one though. He was about 2 inches (No idea how), and he swam very weirdly (swam to top{on side sometimes}, then floated to bottom). Then 3 died today when I got home (they were fine in the morning, except one was at surface not moving much). I tested my parameters about 10 minutes ago, they were the same as I had previously told (0 ammon. and nitrites- 10> Nitrates, PH 7.4, Temp. 76). One of the thing I must tell you is my tank recently had an algae bloom. I purchased the aa Green killing machine 4 days ago. The water cleared up since, but not yet fully clear. I am telling you this because I am confused as to how the possibility(if there is one) of parasites exists. The remaining 4 cardinals are doing ok (i think). BUT... 2 have this weird dorsal fin... PICS. The reason I write this is because all new fish I put in die. The corys and amanos are happy. I am thinking it's the store, but I would like opinions.
NOTE: I do acclimate the fish. I have live plants and aquaclear 50. I do a 20-40% water change every week. I dose with flourish. I am planning to get a fluval 306 to triple my turnover rate.
What can I do to keep the fish alive and much less, thriving? I am frustrated seeingothers have success and simplicity on their first try (no problems and perfect water, fish, plants, etc.), while my tank seems like a mess. So to conclude, sorry for posting so much (some of you might remember my other threads) and for ranting.

Thanks for your help

PICS
IMG_0620.JPGIMG_0619.JPGIMG_0618.JPGIMG_0621.JPGIMG_0617.JPGIMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0619.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What did you use as your Nitrogen source for cycling?

Did you quarantine any new fish, or just put them straight into this tank?

How did the Cardinals act in the store? were any acting strange there?

you say you acclimate the fish, but you don't say how so it might still be a problem.

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
I used Dr. Tim's One and only, and I think I'm answering your question as my Nitrogen source were the corys.

No I did not quarantine them. I cant exactly set up another tank, and invest more money into another small tank.

The cardinal acted normal as far as I know. About 20 in a 55g tank. I must point out that the LFS is extremely helpful, and I don't think they would purposely sell sick fish.

I put the bag in the tank for about 30 min for a temp acclimation. The I transfer them to a bucket where I run airline tubing to drip tank water into the bucket until the starting amount of water is doubled.

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
UPDATE: Another Cardinal died... One of the ones with white dorsal fins. About 20 minutes ago he was at surface A LOT.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Did you drip acclamate them. I found that some stores put a lot of salt (I think) in their water. This gives their water really high TDS. If you don't account for this and put the fish in your tank without very slow dilution, your fish might suffer organ damages and die either quickly or over days. Kidneys probably take the worst of it as they try to remove excess water rushing into the bloodstream. Cells in the gills probably take the initial hit of the osmotic difference.

If you don't have a TDS meter, buy a drip system or slowly dilute the water in the bag over say 8 hour period.

I'm pretty sure this is your problem. Ask the store if they add anything to their water or have them tell you the TDS value of their tank. Maybe bring your water and take a reading.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
are there any chemicals that could have gotten into the water? You are dechlorinating and all that? (I assume you are, but just double checking). I would stop adding new fish for now. Your tank is still new so let things settle a bit. I'm sorry you've lost some, it does make it frustrating. Believe me, we've all been there! The key is to take it a step at a time and learn as you go.
Are you using Flourish as in the fertilizer, or the liquid CO2 source? If you are having algae problems you may need to back off for a bit with the ferts. You don't have a huge amount of plants yet. On that subject, maybe instead of buying fish for the next few weeks, see if you can find a couple of nice good sized plants or a bit more décor. Your tank is pretty, but there's not a lot of cover for nervous fish.
Other thoughts...low oxygen? Does your filter agitate the surface of the water much? I'm not usually a big fan of airstones but if there isn't a lot of water movement the oxygen levels could be a bit low. You can also lower the water level a bit and let the filter splash a little pouring back in.
Keep at it! You will get there :)

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback! I did lose another cardinal (the last one with white fin). I have 2 left and they seem to be doing fine.

To OrQidz and FishFan Man - I will be going back to the LFS to get a refund because they offer a return if the parameters are stable. I will ask them about the TDS and get some more plants. When I go, what are some good, tall, stringy plants (I have a finnex fugeray planted+ 30") that are medium-high light? I use Flourish and Excel (I have reduced using Excel and only use it in small amounts)(I also have flourish tabs too). I put in an airstone to get more oxygen, and I dechlorinate with prime. I do use a drip system as described in my last reply.

Thanks again for the replies, it means a lot.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Fish dying like this usually means bad stock, improperly cycled tank, or external variable which caused a drastic change in your water chemistry.

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Maybe bad stock but most likely not. Definitely not improper cycling. And I can't think of anything that would contaminate the tank.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
This points to some disease, and this doesn't say anything about your tank maintanance except for perhaps not having a quarintine tank to observe fish for several weeks minimum before introducing them to your tank. There are a few possibilities for the identification of the cause of the observed pale spots on the fish.

Columnaris is a bacterial disease that can cause discoloration and this pathogen can survive over a month in water with out a host. There are some treatment options and any medication choice will be helped by keeping temperatures down to 75F since this Gram-negative bacteria is more lethal at higher temperatures.

There is a disease, commonly called Neon Tetra Disease, which is a paracitic protozoan caused muscle disease that after a point also causes discoloration on fish. Cardinal tetras are supposedly not at a risk for this, but I have my doubts. The much reduced chance of Cardinal's catching it may be due to behavior differences(ie not ever picking at other fish) and not due to immunity. Live tubefex are a possible intermediate vector. More fish than just tetras can get this, so it is a larger concern for aquarists than the name would suggest. Although there is no cure for it, there is a way to limit it's spread by culling any fish that displays the symtoms. Once you remove all infected fish from the tank, you only need to keep any new infected fish or worms out of your tank to keep it at bay.

So, from what I see you have done, I can't say you have done anything wrong, but this is a sick world and some of that sickness got into your tank. It may be treatable, and if you are successful or not it would be wise to add a quarantine/hospital tank to your otherwise commendable aquaristic habbits.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store