Pruning Jungle Val in a 10g??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I put in some small 2-inch Jungle vals in the back of my tank, and one of them has reached the surface. I would like to know how other people prune them if they prune them - I think it's different than pruning stem plants. This is the first time I have had vals. Thanks for the help :)

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
I got advice that it's ok to prune the tops of Jungle vals.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, you're on an unbelievable pruning task if it's anything like the "jungle val" I have. It's in a 55g, so approx. twice as tall as your 10g. Mine is either v. natans or v. spiralis & grows at least 28 inches tall. I just rip off the too long tops to keep it ~20 inches tall. A much better choice is "contortion" or whatever it may be called, the twisted kind...in my 20g long (same height as a 10g) it's a very nice 8+ inches, no need to prune, very pretty too.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Yeah, you're on an unbelievable pruning task if it's anything like the "jungle val" I have. It's in a 55g, so approx. twice as tall as your 10g. Mine is either v. natans or v. spiralis & grows at least 28 inches tall. I just rip off the too long tops to keep it ~20 inches tall. A much better choice is "contortion" or whatever it may be called, the twisted kind...in my 20g long (same height as a 10g) it's a very nice 8+ inches, no need to prune, very pretty too.
Thanks for the advice about the contortion val, fishorama! :) Er, no pictures - they're putting out a lot of shooted plants but they're all behind some stem plants in the back. There's one that sprouted underneath my internal filter in complete shade. I'm waiting to see how that one does... eh, I'll try to put something up, but it will be shot from the back of the tank.

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Here's a short video of the Jungle Vals in my 10:

[video]http://vid1357.photobucket.com/albums/q747/steven_g1/MVI_0527_zps31d75ae1.mp4[/video]

ree123

Registered Member
Sep 24, 2014
Nice video.
If this was my tank I would let it grow some more. they will continue to fill in with more leaves.
I have this in a 135 and a 90 tall and when it grows across the surface I trim with sharp scissors at an angle just under the h20 surface and th

Steven 1

AC Members
Feb 27, 2014
MA
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I bit off a little more than I can chew :). I might continue with some Corkscrew Vals if I can find them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store