Old Tank Syndrome?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lws422

AC Members
Sep 23, 2014
Hello all. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's the deal:

I returned home this afternoon, having been gone less than 24 hours, to an 80% loss of fish in my 30 gallon freshwater tank. I lost a shark, a variety of tetras, danios, guppies and barbs. I was able to transfer survivors to an established 15 gallon, but am watching the barbs, hatchets, mollies, catfish and algea eater struggling in their new environment. Some are lethargic, but those seeming the farthest gone are swimming erratically as if they are having seizures, and breathing heavily; I anticipate an almost total loss of life.

The death tank had been doing well for over a year. It was due for a new filter, and I'd noticed the water clouding a bit, but I have been on top of water changes, the most recent as of last week. Nothing seemed very out of the ordinary.

The smaller tank isnt going to sustain the number of fish I still have. I will be moving next week and had hoped to consolidate everyone to the 30 gallon, but obviously cant do so given its current status. I am unable to test the water here but will take a sample to a local pet store later this evening for more answers.

In the meantime...curious if the symptoms I've described sound familiar to anyone. Also curious what the best and safest way to get the 30 gallon moved and cycling healthily again would be, knowing that it could be contaminated and that a move in and of itself is stressful for fish.

Thank you!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Details on "it was due for a new filter"

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
results of water tests?

and doesn't sound like OTS to me, more like some kind of contaminant was introduced to the system. if your water changes are frequent and large (say 50% weekly) do one now.

add an airstone too, and oxygenate the water as much as you can.

is it possible you forgot to dechlorinate water? or your water company added chloramine and your water conditioner couldn't handle it?

lws422

AC Members
Sep 23, 2014
To clarify new filter...new bag for my tetra brand filter

lws422

AC Members
Sep 23, 2014
I agree a contaminant may be at fault. I had run out of water conditioner and followed a method I'd used previously without issue, letting an aerated bucket of water sit for 36 hours allowing chlorine to evaporate. I did this with several buckets, adding water to both tanks, although the 30 gallon got the majority. That was the end of last week. I was also battling an issue with live plants that were rotting.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Test your water for chloramine. If it's in your water and you remove the chlorine ammonia is left behind. Old tank syndrome is more of an issue with pH. The buildup of debris in the system, and the biological activity of breaking it down, creates organic acids. That eats up the carbonate hardness which buffers the pH, and the water turns acidic. Adding fresh water doesn't help much because the acidic system quickly reacts and the pH drops again.

lws422

AC Members
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you Todd for differentiating. Yes, chloramide/ammonia were quite high. The pet store recommended I do a complete overhaul, from gravel to plants to bleaching decorations. That seemed like overkill. What steps should I take to re-establish a safe tank.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Start with a better water treatment product that will neutralize chloramine. No need to bleach anything, the beneficial bacteria are still alive, and will eventually reduce the ammonia to nitrate. Just give it some time and keep testing the water to see when it's safe for fish again. Then treat your fresh water with a suitable dechlorinator, and you should be fine.
Personally I prefer aquaclear hob filters, you just rinse out the sponge/s in tank water instead of replacing the filter cartridge and tossing out a large portion of your beneficial bacteria with the old one. Live plants will actually help with the reduction of ammonia, they use some directly for food as well as the nitrates. Fast-growing low light plants are best, like Najas or duckweed.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I would recommend Prime dechlorinator. Smells like ***, but works wonders and helps reduce ammonia too. Just make sure you follow the directions as it is very concentrated and too much can cause harm.

+1 for aquaclear HOB's. Only HOB filter I will use. Just make sure you rinse the sponge out at least every other water change. If it gets too clogged, it can cause the water level in the filter to rise and eventually leak out the back.

Also, how many fish do you have in your 30 gallon? just from the list of species, this seems WAY overstocked, especially if you are keeping your tetras in schools like you're supposed to. Keeping your stock lower will help your system deal with any changes in ammonia levels from other accidents.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What were your measurements in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the "death tank" at the time of the problem? Knowing your normal pH and the pH at the time of the issue would also help pinpoint 'old tank syndrome'. These params should be the foundation of your troubleshooting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store