Dwarf puffers and fiddler crabs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Hi all, just have a few quick questions regaurding the little fellows :).

I am interested in dwarf puffers and fiddler crabs, but of course don't want to get them if I cannot provide proper housing for them. I have looked around the web in hopes of answering some of my questions but the answers seem short.

I know dwarf puffers are fully fresh and don't usually get much larger than an inch, soft acidic water is prefered, and that they are aggressive, but beyond that nothing. What is their minimum tank size? Can you keep 1 fish alone or will he/she be unhappy?

About the same for the fiddler crabs (tank size, social behavior), except I would make the tank a paludarium(sp?) and brackishwater instead of fresh. What do you feed them as well?

Thanks for any insight :)

-Puma

ChaosBlizzard

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
Visit site
Fiddler crabs cant stay submerged for very long. I had some submerged for 3 weeks, and they died. They need a 50/50, land water enviroment. They also needs sand in the water, as they like to dig holes. They are also brackish...

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I wasn't thinking about mixing them. I am interested in having one or the other ;)

TheSmJ

AC Members
Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
I too was torn between Fiddler crabs and DPs a few months ago. I ended up getting the puffers, and I'm still happy with the decision 3 (or 4) months later.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Some puffers you can, with care and a watchful eye. Some puffers you cannot, especially after they are mature.

Dwarf puffers you can keep together in a fairly heavily planted tank. In a 10, 3-4 should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store