Extruded plastic safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think some is,

Pretty sure there was a link somewhere on here from someone using one.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
We use ours to make prototypes that we use in water all the time. For submersed aquarium decor they should be fine. But it's going to take forever to model if you want a natural shape. Of course a scanner would take a lot of the work out.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Yes and no. Plastic has been used for a lot of applications, food related and aquarium also, and mostly it isn't lethal. But plastic isn't completely safe. Plastics give off compounds that produce hormone interferance in humans and plastics manufacturing towns populations have experienced extremely skewed male/female birth ratios with nearly all female births.

I don't know what effects plastic offgassing products have on fish, but if it is anything like the above you wouldn't want to put the stuff in to fresh. So probably safe in the short run, but I wouldn't get to crazy with it.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if in doubt you have the option of coating the plastic with a sealer that is aquarium safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store