center piece fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i am looking for a center piece fish for my 20 gallon tank that is HEAVILY planted in fact i had to move the plants several times just so the fish could swim i had tall plants in the front and the back.now i go by the rule tall in back short in the back.here is my stock AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor my temp is 74 degrees.i have thought about it a bit and here is what i have came up with 1 dwarf gourami,6 guppies,m/f honey gourami pair,3 mollies,1 panamanian yellow cichlid,6 platies,1 sajica cichlid,3 sword tails,1 thick lipped gourami,or 1 key hole cichlid.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I would steer away from the cichilds as most cant be kept with other fish and will eat shrimp. But I wouldn't add anything esle to the 20 at all. I've got a 20g myself and I have one large fish and a large school of tetras.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
1 dwarf gourami,6 guppies,m/f honey gourami pair,3 mollies,1 panamanian yellow cichlid,6 platies,1 sajica cichlid,3 sword tails,1 thick lipped gourami,or 1 key hole cichlid.
Thick lipped and dwarf gouramis are a no, cichlids are a no, doubt you could even do a keyhole either :/

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
ok captain jim,not funny.i am for real i want a center piece fish.well could 3 platies work?i have seen red platies for sale before and i think that could brighten up the tank a bit.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Not trying to be funny at all. By yellow cichlid are you talking about a yellow convict? Or the peacock bass? Or a benga cichlid? I actually have an aggressive large platinum angel that may do very well with non-angels. It appears the sajika cichlid should have a larger tank,..What is your favorite color?DSCN0143.JPG

DSCN0143.JPG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
... here is what i have came up with 1 dwarf gourami,6 guppies,m/f honey gourami pair,3 mollies,1 panamanian yellow cichlid,6 platies,1 sajica cichlid,3 sword tails,1 thick lipped gourami,or 1 key hole cichlid.
I'm certainly not the king of under-stocking, but ~22 fish of this size range and bio load is way too much for a 20g.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Personally,..I would get a pair of P. Pulcher or P. Taniatus Molowie for the twenty gallon.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Not trying to be funny at all. By yellow cichlid are you talking about a yellow convict? Or the peacock bass? Or a benga cichlid? I actually have an aggressive large platinum angel that may do very well with non-angels. It appears the sajika cichlid should have a larger tank,..What is your favorite color?View attachment 214180
i said a panamanian yellow cichlid.just so you know.and by fav color is blue
I'm certainly not the king of under-stocking, but ~22 fish of this size range and bio load is way too much for a 20g.
well i am not either lol.but i was not saying i wanted all of them in there i was spit balling around ideas.
i am looking for something that could get to at least a couple of inches colorful and not shy.and that wont out compete my 5(soon to be 10)red eye tetras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store