AquaClear 110 Queries: Removing an Old Sponge & Flow Control Preferences, Redux...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
My AquaClear 110's sponge recently got brittle, lost its shape (after doing rinsings in removed tank water during changes) and breaking off into bits and crumbles when I dunked it in the removed tank water, so I got another replacement Hagen sponge for the 110 from my local PetSmart (this is after running this particular sponge for about three years or so, and so I think it was useful in terms of longetivity). I added the new one to the 110's media basket by placing the fresh one atop the old one and have been running it like that for a few weeks now to build up some BB colonies in the new foam block, but I'm wondering if I should yank out the old sponge at any time...or if it's alright to keep running the two sponges in there (with the BioMax pellets in sacks on top). Is there any consensus on this one? Does the old sponge have to be removed at some point, and if so when? Or could it keep running with the new one, acting as "more" mechanical filtration?

Also -- what are all you AquaClear filter owners running your flow control speeds at? Do you generally keep them "wide open" (max flow) or lower them to take advantage of the so-called "re-filtration" these units are supposed to exhibit when the flow control is pushed to the "-" flow speed?

Thanks in advance...

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
All I normally use in my 110's are 2 sponges (3 in the 70's) and replace one when it falls apart too much. I always run my filters at full flow, they will slow down anyway as debris builds up.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
All I normally use in my 110's are 2 sponges (3 in the 70's) and replace one when it falls apart too much. I always run my filters at full flow, they will slow down anyway as debris builds up.
Thank you toddnbecka...

So in my situation, what should I do with the old sponge...get rid of it at this point or keep running the old one with the new?

As for flow, do you not think slower flow rates equate to more contact time with the media for better BB buildup and growth? And is there anything to the claims of making the water "cleaner" by slowing flow so it "re-filters" over and over again what comes in?

I understand the flow will slow as debris builds up, but I never let my filters get that far, regularly squeezing them in removed tank water every few water changes or so...plus, my stocking level, right now, is ridiculously light with only ONE fancy goldfish, a Red Cap Oranda, in a 60 gallon...so there's never really much of anything that comes off my cartridges and sponges when I rinse them...

Any thoughts?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I doubt that slower flow rate makes any real difference, the bacteria actually cover just about every surface in the aquarium. They're not all confined to the filter media, and even if you tossed out the old sponge it wouldn't affect the balance for more than a day. The bacteria population is directly linked to the amount of ammonia produced.
I use old sponges until they actually are falling apart, losing a couple small pieces isn't a big deal. With your stocking level 2 sponges aren't necessary though. My tanks are much more crowded with African cichlids and catfish, I always get a good bit of debris out of the sponges when I rinse them.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I doubt that slower flow rate makes any real difference, the bacteria actually cover just about every surface in the aquarium. They're not all confined to the filter media, and even if you tossed out the old sponge it wouldn't affect the balance for more than a day. The bacteria population is directly linked to the amount of ammonia produced.
Thanks; is there a specific reason you run your AquaClears wide open?

I use old sponges until they actually are falling apart, losing a couple small pieces isn't a big deal. With your stocking level 2 sponges aren't necessary though. My tanks are much more crowded with African cichlids and catfish, I always get a good bit of debris out of the sponges when I rinse them.
So you'd recommend, in my case, just tossing the old one?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I run the filters wide open to increase circulation through the tank so they pick up debris. Between the heavier stocking and the rocks for cover it tends to settle in odd places, though the fish actively moving around, particularly the Synodontis, help stir it along.
If you've been using both sponges for a couple weeks the new one is certainly seeded well enough to toss the old one.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I run the filters wide open to increase circulation through the tank so they pick up debris. Between the heavier stocking and the rocks for cover it tends to settle in odd places, though the fish actively moving around, particularly the Synodontis, help stir it along.
If you've been using both sponges for a couple weeks the new one is certainly seeded well enough to toss the old one.
Thanks for your assistance with this.

Do you think there is an "ideal" position for the AquaClear flow controls? Should I just keep it in the middle somewhere since I can't decide what's best, low or high?

Is the one sponge okay to run in the 110, or should I continue to use, do you think, the old one even though it's kind of shot now?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How are you guys running two sponges in your AC 110? (unless you're cutting one in half) I've got one that's about 6months old and if I stack two stock 110 sponges in the media basket, the bio media bag is out of the water. Way out of the water.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
How are you guys running two sponges in your AC 110? (unless you're cutting one in half) I've got one that's about 6months old and if I stack two stock 110 sponges in the media basket, the bio media bag is out of the water. Way out of the water.
Freshy,

If both sponges are brand spankin' new -- which, at six months, these pretty much are depending on bio load -- then no, they can't really be stacked...but my new sponge sat on top of the old one for a few weeks (I just removed the old one tonight during a weekly water change) and the old one was really crushed, discolored and bent completely out of shape, so both sponges wedged in there with the BioMax just peeking at the filter's water line...

What speed do you keep your AquaClear on?

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
Toddnbecka:

As an update, and as I hinted at in my reply to Joel, I just took out the old sponge per your recommendation tonight during my goldfish's weekly water change so now it's just the one new sponge and the BioMax...

Aside from adding Purigen or perhaps some thin floss after the sponge layer, is this enough media in the 110 (just the sponge and two small bags of BioMax)?

Also: Is it normal for these sponges to last for about three or so years before they begin losing shape, falling apart and becoming brittle, needing to be replaced? That's about what I got out of mine...

Now, all I have to do is figure out this flow control debacle...:duh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store