Tips for cleaning a JEBO canister filter for the first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TriBabe2009

AC Members
Sep 28, 2014
I set up my 60GA tank on 2/12/14. It is planted but not heavily.. I am using API C02 Booster & Excel Flourish, along with API Root Tabs as I cannot afford a C02 system yet (still looking for a job). There has only been a couple of causalities so far, and none of them my original fish from my 50GA tank.. Even the three goldfish I put into the tank to prime it, are still growing! All total, I have (5) yoo-yoo loaches, (3) clown loaches, (2) algae eaters, (3) goldfish, (3) red-line torpedoes, (1) full-grown angel, and (1) rosbora. So far so good, but I do have a question. I installed a JEBO 835 100GA canister filter and I am about to do my first cleaning. I have asked several people and they mentioned that I could get about 6 months out of the first set-up before I would need to clean it. While doing some plant pruning, I noticed that the return tube water pressure wasn't very strong. I figured its time.. I plan to:

1.. Clean both in & out tubing lines

2.. Replace the top layer of floss-type sponge

3.. It has been suggested to skip the carbon at the bottom of the canister, and go with an additional layer of floss,
because the pores of the carbon clog up within weeks anyway. Is this correct?

4.. I'll do a partial water change at the same time and use that water to rinse the ceramic media. Do I replace any at this point,
or wait until the next canister cleaning?

I have never used a canister before so it's all new to me. The filter media and bio foam I will not touch as I do understand that is where my biologicals reside.. Does anyone use the JEBO style filter? Any tips or suggestions? Thank you all for the help..
:tropicalfish:

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd get the goldfish out of your tank given they are cold water fish and can/will get ill and spread disease when kept with tropicals... but that wasn't your question!! lol..

Generally, all you need to do is pop your canister open and squeeze out the sponge media in a bucket of tank water and swish the bio media through tank water. I don't run floss or carbon in mine. No need for carbon in a planted tank. It can hold on to the adds you're adding for your plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store