Starting a Freshwater 20/30 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Seasick Squid

Registered Member
Sep 29, 2014
Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting up a 20 or 30 gallon freshwater tank, as the topic title mentions. I'm really just in the planning stages at this point and I'm not entirely sure if I want to follow through with setting up a tank at all. I'll be trying to maintain a healthy and clean environment for my fish and that will be my main priority. I'm planning on under-stocking my tank by a significant amount in order to prevent any significant waste from building up. My initial plan was to purchase 5 or 6 corydoras catfish and maybe like 4 or 5 neon tetras and keep it at that for the amount of fish in the tank. Do you guys think that's an okay amount of fish for this size of tank? Or could I stock a lot more? Also, would it be a good idea to double up on the filtration system by purchasing two canister filters or something like that? I was thinking maybe putting a filter in the two back corners of the tank to make sure that the water is pristine. Would that just be overkill? Do you guys think it would create too strong of a current for the fish in the tank? I just want to keep the water as fresh as possible. Regardless of the filtration I plan on changing the water once a week no matter what. What do you guys think about this for a tank set up? Any input is much appreciated. Again, I'm just starting to plan it out, not set on anything yet, just in the gathering information stage.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Welp, I think you would have room for more. Not sure what you are going for. Planning live plants? that would let you do even more if you wanted. However, I have had minimalist tanks before, and I liked it. 10 gallon with a lot of decorations and 1 dwarf puffer was neat because you really hat to look at it to see him. Not sure if the small fish count is for that reason or because you worry about waste. That 10g I had had a 20 gal filter, and I could go a month without seeing any changes in nitrates. I'm all for over filtering, especially with 2, since 1 failing is not a huge problem (as opposed to 1 double sized filter) Same with heaters for that matter. I will always say go bigger, so if 30 is your limit, get the 30. If for nothing else, a 30 with corries, neons, and a nice centerpiece would be nice looking. Check out apistos (dwarf SA cichlids)

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have people coming into the LFS I work at asking what size tank to start with, either the 20 or 30. The 30 gives more room to play with and as for neons.. You can do more then 5, the more the merrier with those guys, plus they don't create that much waste either. I've got 15 in a 20 with a centerpiece and 2 bottom feeders, still understocked. Don't need two canisters on a 20 or 30.. One Hang on Back should be fine, like one of the Aquaclears either the Aquaclear 50 or the 70, both are great filters. Go with what you think is best. There's a lot of stocking ideas you can do.

How are you going to cycle the tank, Fish-less(which is the best way) or fish-in?

Seasick Squid

Registered Member
Sep 29, 2014
Honestly I was thinking maybe throwing in a ghost shrimp or 3 and cycling the tank that way. I'll probably use some of those nutrient/chemical things that aid in the process of cycling in order to get it going. I was gonna do that for at least a month or a month and a half and then slowly add corydoras to the tank. Maybe I'll do like 7 neon tetras too instead of 4-5.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I would up that school up to atleast 10-12 or more, they are small fish and they do better with more then with less.

The best way to cycle a new tank is to use fish food or pure Ammoina(it can be bought from a store, non scented) and let it sit and do water changes every other day and invest in a test kit like the API Master Test Kit for freshwater and test it daily. Shrimp don't have enough of a bio-load to start a cycle. Live plants also help in cycling a new tank, a lil quicker.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Check out the link in my signature on cycling. It explains it pretty good. You will waste your money if you use a cycling agent with no real bioload. If someone can help me I cannot think of the name of the good one right now :duh: but it's actually bacteria (the kind you need) and not a chemical. If you go that route, you need to have an ammonia source for it to survive. Otherwise, the bacteria you add will die off and you will be at square one. If you have never done a fishless cycle, I would say go that route. There are easier ways to cycle, but everyone should try it at least once. It will help you understand the process that is taking place without killing any fish if you mess up. If you plan on going a month or two before adding fish anyways, that should be time enough for a fishless cycle.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Honestly I was thinking maybe throwing in a ghost shrimp or 3 and cycling the tank that way.
Unless they die, you're only going to end up with a bacteria colony that can handle the bioload of a couple of ghost shrimp... perfect if that's how you want to have your tank stocked in the long term.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think FW BioSpira is around. SW might be, but neither are/were products I'd want to use so didn't really follow them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store