Fluval Chi 5 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
So, I asked about stocking for my 5 gallon Fluval Chi in the fresh water general forum and dougall mentioned turning it into a pico reef with a Pom Pom crab. I know nothing about salt water but it's something I would like to try one day so I started looking online to see about turning it into a saltwater tank and the posts I found said I had to take off the existing waterfall filter. I understand that the filter wouldn't be useful but do I really have to get rid of the water fall portion?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Honestly, if you want to go SW. get a different tank. The fluval chi is a lot of money for a fancy setup meant for freshwater. My fish addiction opinion is saying keep the chi, get a few FW nano fish with a lot of cool plants, and buy another tank to go SW. SW nano is fun, but a lot of work.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The problem with the waterfall portion would be salt creep and extra water evaporation.

As for keeping the chi as freshwater.. I think we personally paid maybe $30-35 for ours on sale at Petsmart, and it's currently sitting unused. I don't think that's a bad price for a real glass, rimless tank that's almost a cube.. would love to see cheaper options for a comparable tank:)

Shouldn't be terribly much work either, topping off to recover from evaporation and then frequent PWCs.

Don't be such a party pooper Mr. Fishy. If the tank's unused and sitting around, I don't see a reason to not use it. But if I was going to start a tank from the ground up, I'd probably not choose a Chi and go with a bare tank or AIO unit.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Keep the waterfall, aside from the creep it won’t hurt anything (just be aware of it and clean it regularly). The only problem is that if you make it a reef tank and put corals in the tank, the waterfall will cast a shadow when you add lighting and the corals won’t grow under it. However, it will work perfectly as small pico tank with some LR and a pom pom crab. SW tanks are easy to keep, they just have a higher cost and higher maintenance schedule than FW tanks. Keep us informed on what you do, and good luck!!!

I'm a little nervous to start a SW tank but at the same time I think it would be really nice tank to put in my grooming/dog training office. I'll have to wait until the landlord finally puts in the final floor so that he doesn't touch it while doing the floor. Would I take out the filter media from the water fall filter? Hmm... I think I want to try. So much to contemplate. If anyone has research resources to suggest I would really appreciate it.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Normal price I have seen is over $50 and even closer to $80 some places. Not that they can't be had for less, but anything can be had at a deal sometimes.
The stock lighting is actually under the waterfall. If it is enough for corrals, the "shadow" wouldn't be an issue, but i'm not too sure about it.
Given the downfalls of the stock equipment in a saltwater setup, the choices are'

1. Saltwater Chi setup, with it's downfalls and possibly additional equipment.
2. Freshwater Chi setup and a new Saltwater nano setup with proper equipment.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Stock lighting in a Chi isn't gonna be enough for Corals, not really sure it's enough for plants for that matter.

I have several empty 10 gallons I could use. I was just looking at my 5 because it would fit on my desk. Not sure the desk will hold a ten and I don't really want to use up more floor space right now because I need it for the training. One day I might have a big tank if I'm doing only grooming in this location. I guess I'll keep pondering for a while long before I decide. I really appreciate everyone's help. Thank you :)

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
It is natural to be nervous for a SW tank. They are a larger investment and can crash allot easier. As for information, all you need is to research the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a small SW tank and go from there. Nano-reef is a good forum, and we can answer any questions.

If you were going for SW then this is what I would do.

First, find a supply of RO water and premixed saltwater usually from a local pet store.

Next buy your gear

Heater
Hydrometer
PH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite test kit.
Live rock
One bucket and two 5gallon water storage containers

Then, all you have to do is get some RO water for top offs and premixed SW for water changes. Change about 1 gallon a week and you should be good to go. I would put about 4 or 5lbs of cleaned live rock (should be able to get it from pet store). Wait for the tank to cycle and you are essentially done. Leave the filter in, but remember to change it out every week with the water change.

I have the RO water. My father had a saltwater tank eons ago. I think he still has the thing to measure the amount of salt in the water. Clean buckets aren't a problem around our house. If the heater is the same as a fresh water one then I have lots of those.

Thank you msouth468

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store