75 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
Hi,

I have a 75 gallon tank which will have a dozen julie cories, a dozen harlequin rasboras. After all, why have a big tank if you don't have a big school (or at least a shoal) of colorful fish. I may add a few more of each of those, but the tank really "needs" a centerpiece(s), probably a cichlid. I'd been thinking about trying some more discus, but I really don't want to do water changes any more than once a week, preferably once a month. Any ideas?

I am thinking about angels, but wanted to see if there were any other good ideas out there.

Thanks,

nterry

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Depending on your stock and filtration, you really want to change 10 - 25% every 1 or 2 weeks. I'm not sure you should go for a month with no waterchange

nterry

AC Members
Dec 10, 2005
I only meant that water change comment as a lament for my unwillingness to keep discus...I do weekly water tests and adjust my change schedule based on that. With a 75 gallon tank, weekly testing is plenty of time to make adjustments as needed. But I digress.

Wow, 2 angelfish. That's not very many.

So what other great fish are out there that do well with small schooling tetras? Anyone?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
So what other great fish are out there that do well with small schooling tetras? Anyone?
Great as in what.. Larger? A center piece type fish? Like said, pearl gourami are great. Lots of gourami options out there. Or you could easily do 3-4 angles with some groups of tetra.

If you're not concerned with a center piece type fish, how about a group of hatchet fish for the top and corys for the substrate?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i say,if you want you could do something like a couple of calm big cichlids.fire mouth comes to mind.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
You should never rely on testing to tell you when to do water changes...just saying.

MilitantPotato

Got Pleco?
Apr 11, 2006
St. Louis, Mo
www.plecofanatics.com
You should never rely on testing to tell you when to do water changes...just saying.
Wait what? Nitrates and ph are a great indication of when/how much water needs to be changed. Weekly or less is a great idea, but with low stocking levels and good buffering might be able to go weeks and be ok.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store