any "creatures" that will devour plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i am constantly ripping off plant leaves by accident and i leave them in their cuz i dont know what to do with them.does anybody know of an animal that will devour plants?dont say apple snails.oh yeah it is a 5 gallon.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
take them out of the tank and throw them away if it's just a leaf. They will only decay and contribute to the demise of your water quality

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yeah but i dont want to just throw it away.i would rather someone enjoy it.and the leaves are in my 20 and 29 gallon.not in the 5.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Many of the apple snail species will, pomacea canaliculata being one of them. These snails are VORACIOUS plant eaters however and will destroy a planted tank in no time, not to mention I wouldn't keep one in anything less than a 29 as they get quite large. Also this is a restricted species so it's best to look up the legalities on keeping these snails in your location (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aphis/home/) you should be able to check the restrictions in your area there.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I bought half a dozen apple snails from a local breeder six months ago and they are in my planted tank. They eat algae really well but have not eaten any of my plants. They do like boiled carrots I noticed!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I bought half a dozen apple snails from a local breeder six months ago and they are in my planted tank. They eat algae really well but have not eaten any of my plants. They do like boiled carrots I noticed!

What type of apple snails? There are many MANY types some eat plants some do not, pomacea diffusa for instance doesn't eat live plant material.

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Bought them from My Fishy1. He calls them as golden apple snails. You can see his post in classified from Sept.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
hmm i forgot about them.i did some research and only the giants eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store