CO2 Atomizer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
I'm planning to install this co2 atomizer on an Eheim fliter. What is the best side to install it, the intake or return and why?

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
I got the idea of what it was, but never used one so didn't want to steer you wrong. It says right on there to install in the outlet side. That would have been my guess, for no other reason other than I don't know what the filter media and bacteria would do to or with the CO2. At the very least I would think it may suffocate some of the bacteria or possibly use up a small amount of the gas. Just speculation though. Hope it works well for you.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I suspect that the reason for it being attached to the outflow is to stop the gas going into the canister, but more to avoid a bubble forming around the impeller preventing water being pumped through. Basically the same reason you don't want an airstone near a canister intake.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I suspect that the reason for it being attached to the outflow is to stop the gas going into the canister, but more to avoid a bubble forming around the impeller preventing water being pumped through. Basically the same reason you don't want an airstone near a canister intake.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner. The CO2 won't hurt the biofilter but for canisters with the impeller at the top it does exactly what dougall said. I ran mine for a while into the intake side of a magnum 300 without issue...its impeller is at the bottom of the canister.

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Now if only there were prizes ;)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I will add.. if there is enough CO2 you may actually hurt the bio filter, another reason to make sure it's on the outflow/return.. get enough CO2 and the pH drops enough it can affect the bio filter as the water becomes more acidic , the bacteria may not be able to handle low pH/acidic condition.(remember the CO2 can get trapped in the canister filter.

Just a thought :)

Last edited:

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
Hmmm, now I see why my thread was not answered. :>) Here is food for thought, hooking it up on the intake side, will allow the dirt to clog up the diffuser.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store