Flake Food Storage

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I just bought from a friend 4 different types of flake food, each weighing a pound. I can't use it all right now so how do I store it. There is to much of it to put it in the freezer. My friend says I can store them in the tropical fish bags they are in now, but I understand plastic bags are not airtight and light can get in. Could I buy plastic tubs at the dollar store and store them in a box out in a garage that is not heated. How long do you think the food would still be usable? I hope this will last me 6 months to a year, I have 41 tanks.
Thanks for your help!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you have a food sealer, one that vacuums the air out?

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I can't store it in the bags it comes in. a few of us split the food up, and they came in boxes. So I need to find another type of container. The food is now in platic fish bags, and from what I have read plastic bags are not airtight.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can use Ziploc freezer bags to store the food in and a drinking straw to suck out the air or just compress the bag to eliminate most of the air. Store in a cool, dry and dark area. Air tight food storage containers will also work.

Storing the packaged food in a garage will work as long as there is no chance of bugs or mice, they can chew through packaging to get to the yummy food!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
wow!41 tanks?i bet he has a high electricity bill.sorry off topic:(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I figure flakes & pellets are good for ~1 year at most after the vacuum seal has been broken. If you can freeze or at least refrigerate it...or keep it in a cool, dark basement or garage it might last longer. It's not so much that it'll get moldy, or "toxic" (I hate that term) but the nutritional quality may be lowered somewhat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store