Chinese algae eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
I will be grateful for some input about these yellow Chinese algae eaters. About 3 months ago, I bought 2 of them for my planted 55g. They were very tiny and did keep the tank beautifully clean, but now they are quite big (about 2 1/2 inches!) I hear that they can grow to 12 inches! I notice they don't like each other but don’t seem aggressive towards the tetras but I have seen one attack my gold gourami (who is also big). Wondering if I should give one of them away or just leave it as it is. Do any of you have experience wuith them to share?
Thanks, I appreciate.I will be grateful for some input about these yellow Chinese algae eaters. About 3 months ago, I bought 2 of them for my planted 55g. They were very tiny and did keep the tank beautifully clean, but now they are quite big (about 2 1/2 inches!) I hear that they can grow to 12 inches! I notice they don't like each other but don’t seem aggressive towards the tetras but I have seen one attack my gold gourami (who is also big). Wondering if I should give one of them away or just leave it as it is. Do any of you have experience wuith them to share?​
Thanks, I appreciate.I will be grateful for some input about these yellow Chinese algae eaters. About 3 months ago, I bought 2 of them for my planted 55g. They were very tiny and did keep the tank beautifully clean, but now they are quite big (about 2 1/2 inches!) I hear that they can grow to 12 inches! I notice they don't like each other but don’t seem aggressive towards the tetras but I have seen one attack my gold gourami (who is also big). Wondering if I should give one of them away or just leave it as it is. Do any of you have experience wuith them to share?
Thanks, I appreciate. :grinyes:

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i am just gonna give some advice.if you want them both for their whole life then i would get another 55 gallon for both of them.and nothing else in that tank but them.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I'm not sure how closely related the Chinese Algae Eaters and Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) are, but I purchased the SAE as I was told the CAE were more aggressive. As far as size, my 2 SAE's are very different now even though they were identical when I bought them. One is gold with the black stripe and about 4.5 inches long, and the other one is silver with the black stripe and is only about 2.5 inches long. They chase each other around but I have never seen them bother my honey gouramis or other. I hope this helps.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
As you know tara, they will get much bigger quickly, and likely become much more aggressive as time goes on. I agree with evil wizard's comments - I too believe they're kept best in a CAE species only tank.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
it would be better if he could get a 75 gallon for them.because i have a cae in a pond and it grew to a whopping 14 inch!i think that the extra width would be good.wait i think that they have the same width.i would go with a 40 gallon breeder it has more width.

Last edited:

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I personally would rehome the CAE cause they are known to suck onto fish and eat off the slime coat on large fish. Even at a small size they can be quite nasty, I deal with them at work and they chase everything around!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
I had a community tank with a Chinese algae eater, now all that's left is the algae eater, a Cory, and an upside down catfish. I would rehome them or get them their own tank before they get mean.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yes i think that she will get another tank for them.and also i am not trying to be rude but,it has been established that she will need to re home them or get another tank.so please dont say something like that again.i just dont want the same post to keep coming up over and over again.thank you.:)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
CAE's are like...the worst fish. Ever. Rehome it and get some flying foxes :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store