Beta Rescue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
My little sis bought a WalMart beta that she wanted to "save". The poor thing was in about 2 inch of yellow water with gunk all around the bottom. I told her to "walk away" and that it probably wouldn't survive, but she bought it anyway.

She doesn't have the right tank or equipment to home it properly and has it in a 1 gall glass bowl with some gravel. I added some water from my established 29 gall aquarium and one of my little live plants with the hope it will be ok until she can afford to put him in a proper aquarium. She thought it could go into my aquarium but I told her I had too many fish that wouldn't be compatible.

Beta is alive this morning and seemingly doing ok. How long will it be "ok" in just the glass bowl? I would buy all the proper stuff for her, but I think she needs to do it herself so she can learn about it and the reason you don't just buy a pet on a whim, even if it does need "saving".

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
With water changes twice a week the betta should be fine for awhile in the gallon bowl. But I would think an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 or 5 gallon would be better for him. A 5 would would give him more room to roam and be happy.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Thanks for the advice Vincia. Would a mini heater work in a 5 gall or be overkill? I've been telling my sister that she should get a 10 gallon aquarium, but I think she would prefer something smaller.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Vincenia (sorry I got your name wrong).

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
depending on room temps you might get away with out a heater. i would get a filter 1st.
A filter for 5 gallon aquarium? Is there such a tiny filter available without buying a kit?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
easy,walmart.they are labled as a 5-15 gallon filter.but it will cost about the amount of a whole kit.and i mean of a 10 gallon.i would go to walmart and buy the 10 gallon kit.

Jemi39

AC Members
Nov 21, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Real Name
Jeremy
A filter for 5 gallon aquarium? Is there such a tiny filter available without buying a kit?
The Whisper 3i or whatever it's called is rated up to 5 gallons. It does fine on my 2.5, outstanding actually, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 5g with regular water changes.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store