Betta Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
So, I'm thinking about getting a little 10 gallon tank just for two bettas (with a divider of course). What is the best way to cycle it quickly? If i use one of the two sponges in my filter and some of my gravel from my already established tank, roughly how long would the cycle take because I know it would be shorter but I don't know whether it would still be a week or so or whether I could get a couple of bettas the next day.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What's the bio load in the other tank?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
i have done the same thing.i would wait a week.2 weeks to be safe.:)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yeah thats why i said 2 weeks to be safe.oh and i forgot to say this but you might wanna feed the bacteria a bit if you didn't have a lot of bioload.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Well, I have a fairly high bioload in the other tank. I might just be pushing it a little bit with the bioload actually but i'm doing twice-weekly 20% water changes so hopefully that should help. I'll probably seed the tank and leave it a week just to be on the safe side. I've read that you can use fish food to create ammonia when it rots so I'll probably do that. Also, does anyone have ideas about what i could keep with a betta? I've thought about african dwarf frogs but i'm not sure.

Last edited:

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
One of my co-workers has a 10 gallon divided and I gave him one of my old seeded filters I didn't use anymore to cycle his tank faster. He has 2 bettas with glolites and black neons with them with no issues at all. Theres a few fish you can keep with them, just have to be careful what you keep with them.

Plants also help to cycle a tank a bit faster aswell.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I thought about celestial pearl danios with the bettas but I was worried that they would be too shy. Maybe another nano fish like ember tetra or sparrow rasbora or something would be better? Neons, personally, i'd be too worried about them with diseases and getting the pH and what have you right.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Well, I had a look on Aqadvisor and I'm thinking either one betta with 8 celestial pearl danio and 8 small rasbora such as sparrow or mosquito rasbora, 2 betta with 2 or 3 oto in each side or 2 betta with a shoal of 8 celestial pearl danio in one side and a shoal of 8 small rasbora in the other. Obviously, if i did get two, i'd have a divider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store