Need answers to many questions. Please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
First I just want to say you have all been a great help, but for the sake of time and conciseness I will ask you (if you answer these questions) to read my What is going on thread for tank info. I have fixed the problems from that thread and the tank is now running great until today. My last cory, the one who was with me since the beginning of the cycle was found dead with no explanation. My stats as of 5 minutes ago are, 0 amm, -ites, and 5 Nitrates. Temp 79-80 Ph 7.4-7.6 (not quite sure, but I put pics below).

So here are my questions

1. Why did my cory die? Is there a reason? What should I do to help prevent and discover the cause?

2. I have this algae on the bottom of my driftwood. Also algae on tall plants. Should I remove it? What is it? Pics below

3. My amano shrimp are POOPING MACHINES. It's non-stop and an hour after a water change when all the poop was siphoned out, there is a ton there magically. (Pic about a day after WC) How can I prevent this? I am assuming I can't.

4. Because of #3 and small particles in the water, I am almost well past considering and about to purchase a canister filter with a lot more than enough filtration. My choices are a fluval 306 or 406, or a Eheim 2217 or 2215. Which is better? I like Fluval for the ease of cleaning and the media that comes with it, but Eheim is 50$ cheaper and has same reviews plus no water bypass but GREEN HOSES :(. My aquaclear 50 just isn't cutting it. (not picking up particles)

5. Foamy film on surface? Is it harmful? Explanation or experience anyone?

Thanks for the time you spent reading this. Hoping for some help.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
1 if it lived though the cycle it that could have killed it. burnt gills from the ammonia. it could be a lot of things.

2 tank isnt balanced. i would get some more fast growing plants or more amanos.

3 thigns eat things poop.

4 did i miss what size of tank?

5 normal. typically from oils and such from you getting into the tank.

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
1. Still not sure the cycle killed him.

2. Anymore info? I have algae but none like the one under the driftwood. You didn't exactly answer my question for 2

3. I guess so just really want to know how to not have it collect on sand because it looks bad.

4. As I said in the post look in my previous thread. It's 29 gallons though w/ aquaclear 50

5. Ok, should I be worried or just leave it be?

Thanks

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
Did you add anything to the this tank from another?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I just lost my whole reply.......... :angry: a) how big is the tank? b) fish sometimes die c) you have to clean out the poop yourself, and I doubt that is what killed your cory.

Alonergan11

AC Members
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks Evil, I am trying to get the plants to grow in more, but it's always a work in progress

Rufloman, I'm not sure if you read my post of replies but I said 29 gallons. If you can restate your lost reply that would be great

Thanks
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store