HELP ! Unidentified Thing In My Shrimp Tank !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

freshworm

Registered Member
Oct 6, 2014
When doing maintenance on my shrimp tank i have been finding these worms. They are extremely hard to catch- very fast. and are only seen when wiggling out of the substrate (looks like signaling to others of something). So i made a video to attempt to find someone with some knowledge on this creature. I have added some amateur microscopy for the identification....

[YT]0LBfR7-e_AQ[/YT]

Last edited by a moderator:

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
do you think you can post a pic?my mom wont let me go on you tube except for homework videos and that kind of stuff.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Almost certainly one of the hundreds (or more) species of nematodes. harmless critters that feed on decaying organic debris. If they grow to the size of a pencil and start eating the shrimp you might want to worry, but otherwise, don't.

Dav

AC Members
Sep 29, 2014
I've had these in my shrimp tank too, they are tubifex worms. They'd borrow into the substrate & come out & wave/wiggle when I'd feed the tank. They themselves are harmless but can carry parasites. Initially I thought they were cool because they didn't harm anything but they soon got out of control because they were in my shrimp tank & there was nothing in there that would prey on them & keep their numbers down (no fish in the tank, just shrimp). They became a real eyesore so I stripped the tank & replaced the substrate (sand).

Now I'm just careful when adding new plants to my shrimp tank because I believe that is how they got into my tank in the first place. I've read of people using potassium permanganate to treat plants before adding them into the aquariums but I don't do this. I add new plants to my hospital tank (10g) & let my white cloud mountain minnows pick them clean of any hitch hikers for a couple of weeks before adding them to my tanks. I also dose them with Ick guard, Melafix, & Pimafix which might be over kill or might not do squat actually but it eases me concerns a bit.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Add a dwarf crayfish. Dwarf crayfish will eat them readily and won't bother the shrimp.

AEWHistory

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Trenton, NJ
Rather than tear the tank down I'd be tempted to remove the shrimp and turn lose some corys or kuhli loaches, something like that. All that live food will almost surely get the corys ready to breed AND trim back the worm problem.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Rather than tear the tank down I'd be tempted to remove the shrimp and turn lose some corys or kuhli loaches, something like that. All that live food will almost surely get the corys ready to breed AND trim back the worm problem.
I'd do the same, except I wouldn't remove the shrimp.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store