Bottom feeder for my 20g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Currently I have one black Kuhli loach and kuhlis are hard for me to find around here. I can have my manager order some but they will be sucked up into the sumps cause they are just so tiny when they arrive. What would be a good bottom feeder for my 20g? I'm looking at small loaches or cories. The tank has a pair of Pearl Gouramis, 2 platies(moved them over from the 37), 1 lonly kuhli, 1 Hillstream Loach(still unkillable) and 12 Neon Tetras. There are Pygmy cories I can get from work but would they be eaten by the gouramis or would they be ok?

Last edited:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
IME 10-12 would be fine, they certainly wouldn't be overcrowded and have a low bio-load.. And you'd definitely be able to tell how the bio-load is based on water testing results.

But...

I wouldn't really call C. Pygmaeus a bottom feeder, mine always seem to be up in the mid-level.

Perhaps half a dozen C. Habrosus or an Aspidoras species would better serve your needs and plenty of fun to watch too.

otherwise, have you considered dwarf crayfish? CPOs are pretty cool, and I have a number of Cambarellus texanus that are quiet and peaceful.

There's an NJAS event in East Brunswick this weekend, you might be able to pick up something interesting at the Sunday auction (or sell something if you'd prefer)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Pygmies are open swimmers...they only rest on the bottom. Go with pandas or something else that stays small.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What about 4 albino or peppered cories cause panda cories will cost about 6-8 a fish and are hard to find.
I've found that 4 aren't enough for them to be comfortable in their surroundings. I had 4 emerald corys in my 29g. I started with 6 in the very beginning (Petco purchase). They were very shy and elusive at that number. If I ever did corys (or close to corys like the emeralds) again, it would be a bunch of them. You could do a dozen in a 20g, but I'd stick with very low bio load tank mates

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I've found that 4 aren't enough for them to be comfortable in their surroundings. I had 4 emerald corys in my 29g. I started with 6 in the very beginning (Petco purchase). They were very shy and elusive at that number. If I ever did corys (or close to corys like the emeralds) again, it would be a bunch of them. You could do a dozen in a 20g, but I'd stick with very low bio load tank mates
Corys by the bunch are awesome to watch... the more the merrier.

In a 20L I wouldn't hesitate to do 10 or so Pygmy or Habrosus even with a decent number of other tank mates. Both are relatively cheap too. Without tankmates, you could likely double or triple the number without much of a problem, just have to monitor water parameters and not slack on PWCs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store