Please identify this trade show wood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheRealJobe

AC Members
Oct 11, 2014
Hello all,

I saw some impressive help here. I thought I might run something past you.
I picked up two pieces of wood at a trade show this weekend.

Could you please help me identify them.
I was attracted to their lighter color, but after I boiled one piece it got relatively dark.
At first I thought it might be cedar, but the roots are very round compared tot he images of cedar I have seen.

What do you think?Mystery.jpg

Mystery.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Have no clue..hard to tell without seeing it physically. Nice looking tap roots though. How soft is it when you press your thumbnail in?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Spiderwood. Cool stuff, but I dont know much about it other than it is really light and takes a long time to sink. Need to hold it down with something until it gets completely waterlogged.

TheRealJobe

AC Members
Oct 11, 2014
Dry, its incredibly hard, I actually had a difficult time getting a drill in it, much to my surprise.
Wet though, I can drive a fingernail in it enough to make a slight mark, but I am having to press hard.

My concern is on the large cut surfaces there is a slight perfumed odor. I don't think it's a cedar scent as much as it might be a faint rose scent.

I looked up pictures of rosewood, but I'm not sure that's what it is.

TheRealJobe

AC Members
Oct 11, 2014
Some things identified that it looks closer to are gold vine and spider wood (thanks vwill279).
I might take it to a local wood shop to see what they think.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Those are beauties indeed. My LFS would probably charge $50 for one of those.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
wow that is so huge.how the heck did you boil that thing?i am pretty sure it is at least 2 foot across for both of them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Coser to spiderwood after the abive reference..it is really a plant but can grow tree like when unchecked. I drilled the bottom of mine and filled it with glass balls to get it to stay down sooner.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
yep

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store