Help ID'ing this crayfish/lobster please! Need info. Pictures inside.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claw

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2004
Visit site
Hi all.
I just picked this critter up from my local pet store. The guy there told me he thought it was too big to be a crayfish and thought it was a lobster. Apparently, somebody dropped it off at the pet store and just left it there. So they just gave me it...

I am looking for any information... Mainly, what species it is, what it likes to eat, how big it gets if the tank will allow it.... Etc....

I was told by the guy in the pet store that it eats anything, fish food, pellets, other fish, etc...

Here are the pictures I took, if you need more to help ID it, just ask, and I will try to post them ASAP....

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
my first guess seeing this guy's claws woulda been a lobster..... but reading up on it, it seems as it's more likely a crayfish. I think (and I could be wrong, if so, someone please jump in) lobsters are solely saltwater, otherwise it's considered a crayfish. I found a site you might find helpful in finding just what kind of crayfish it is..... try this.....

http://www.uku.fi/~mannonen/RapuSivu.html

HTH

(EDIT: egad's the typo's ;))

Last edited:

cnote

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
just to add to the last post ill do some research for you ... ive posted several threads about crayfish and have a couple dozen. they anything.... literally. ive fed them a little of eveything. spirulina discs forplecos, guppie feeders, goldfish feeders, flake food, corn, potatoe, brocoli (sp. check), blood worms... etc u get the picture. i know for a fact they can be at least 5 inches from the top of their pincer to their tail. i had four of the exact same species and got them from a petland discount here. i had three females and one male. the male got pretty big in size about 5 inches or so and died in the middle of moulting which has never happened to me. but oh well just some info ill find it and post you some info hope that helped

cnote

AC Members
Mar 24, 2004
New York
Visit site
im back with a little more info. i did a little research, dont qoute me on this but i believe a north american cray. that sounds simple but thats the common name.. ive also seen it called a northern white cray. scientific - Orconectes virilis there are over 500 species worldwide and 100+ in north america alone so i may not be 100% on the money but im pretty sure. the largest they grow are 5 inches. if you ould like any other info pm or post a reply thread be more then willing to help

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
there are dozens of species, and that I think would be an understatement... so unless you went and got a book and used everything to figure out you might only even then be able to narrow it down to a range of species that are similar...

Chrisp71MO

AC Members
Feb 13, 2004
Bevier, MO
Visit site
Definately just your garden variety crayfish. How large is it? I have caught (trying to steal live bait and their claw gets hooked)several in deep water here in the midwest in some of the larger lakes and rivers that were 6-8".

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I have caught some here in NC that were 3 or 4 inches kinda red colors on there shell stealing my bait live and fake in the streams fishing for trout

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store