DIY 55g stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
My 55g tank sprung a leak, and since the stand was a particleboard one from petsmart I decided to build a new one. After drained the tank and resealed it with clear RTV from napa, I started on the stand while waiting for the RTV to cure. I built it out of 2x4s screwed together with 2-1/2" deck screws and lots and lots of liquid nails, I sheeted it in 1/4" hardwood plywood. The top has two layers of the 1/4' ply glued together.

A full view of the stand, the front is facing the camera
fish-tank-stand-full.jpg

The top of the stand, very reinforced, probably overbuilt. the double layer of 2x4 is so that the tank will sit on that rather than just the ply.
fish-tank-stand-top.jpg

A view of the corner framing, and the bracing on the back
fish-tank-stand-corner.jpg

And finally one of the stand sheeted, trimmed and with the tank on top of it.
fish-tank-stand-finished.jpg

Now all I have to do is make some doors for the front. Im pretty pleased with how it turned out, I finished all the ply with Minwax polyshades, the polyurithane and stain in one, if i did it over again it would be done with regular stain and finish, I had trouble getting even color with the polyshades.

fish-tank-stand-full.jpg fish-tank-stand-top.jpg fish-tank-stand-corner.jpg fish-tank-stand-finished.jpg

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I am with you on over building tank stands. If you only put the stand on a level concrete pad you could get away with a lot less, but houses with these wood floors move with weight on it and you don't want any of that uneven movement to transfer to the tank because glass doesn't handle it.

So I'm firmly in the over build camp.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Curious... did you strip out the old sealant before applying the new...??

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
I did strip out all the sealant, I used a razor scraper and a lot of elbow grease,it took a lot longer to do the prep than I thought it would. I cleaned all the surfaces with acetone followed by alcohol. It's been full coming up on a week and so far so good.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
good deal

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Holy heavy-duty stand!! That baby could hold up a house! Love it. Great work.

So far I've had good luck with my store bought stands. A 20/29/37g MDF one from Petco, a 55g Aquatic Fundamentals from DFS and a 75/90/110 Titan Eze from DFS. The MDF ones have been in service a few years.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
Holy heavy-duty stand!! That baby could hold up a house!
maybe not quite a house, but it should be good for about a ton if the weight was distributed evenly according to an engineer friend of mine, after that Its side loading might be too strong, when you look it up its amazing how much wood can hold up

The stand that I had before was MDF and I had it for about 5 years, and two moves. it wasn't treated very well and held up. it wasn't until the tank leaked all over it and i didn't catch it for two days that the top started to swell, this stand that I have now I hope that nothing will be able to destroy it.

ffmurray

AC Members
Oct 6, 2014
Ithaca NY
that looks more like the stand under my 220 than something to hold a 55.
I can only imagine if I built a stand for a 220. I had to keep telling myself as I was building/designing it that the wood was very strong and I didnt need to overdo it to much. At least I will never worry about if the stand will move or crack or fall over.

So I'm firmly in the over build camp.
:iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store