veil tail ram cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Hello and glad for some good advice...
I'm looking for a veil tail cichlid and
1: where to purchase?
2: in my planted 55g I have 2 Chinese algae eaters which do a fantastic job helping keep the tank clean but have grown to 3 inches. Seem very active and somewhat aggressive. Would these be a problem with this ram? should I get 2?
also have a large peaceful female gourami, some peaceful tetras and one peace emperor pleco (hides most of the time).
I do take great care of the tank and have kept blue rams successfully in the past.
Appreciate your input and advgice, THANKS :irked:

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
I have a large angel, 4 Bolivian Rams, a Clown Pleco, 5 Emerald Green Cories, an albino algae eater, and 2 Blue Paradise in a 40 breeder. I've had no problems with my algae eater bothering any thus far, and he's about 4 inches long. The clown pleco's a little shorter than him, they do fued over one of the caves now and then but nothing serious. I've never had the veil tail rams, though. Of course fish temp's vary.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
CAE's will eventually become a problem.. they usually become more aggressive as they age and start eating more std foods = less algae. In all likely hood they will start picking on all the other inhabitants. I would suggest you rehome the CAE's
other than that you should be fine.

veil rams are just a morph of the ramirezi..as are the other color(blue, gold,elec blue) morphs and balloon morphs. their water requirements are the same as the std variety.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yep and you'll wonder why hes the only fish after a while.and then when you stare into his eyes you will see the murder.......oops that got a little weird sorry about that but he will kill all your other fish after a while.may i suggest giving him away then buying a siamese algae eater they are good algae eaters.

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Thank you so much all for the good advice. I have brought back my CAEs (a little sadly) but you are so right... murder...! so now I'll go ahead with the GBRs and maybe some siamese algae eaters. Ever grateful for the good advice.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
tara,
I haven't had much luck with Ramirezi rams(blue) I have had good luck with Bolivian (altispinosa).. really good luck with them.
another dwarf bottom dwelling specis you may want to look at are Apistogramma. I keep several Cacatuoides (orange flash and double red) as well as Borellis and agassizii. there are a lot of different apisto's but they usually fare well in a community tank.(tho many prefer low pH)

gspille

AC Members
Jan 5, 2008
Illinois
I know this was several months ago, but how's it going with the Rams, Tara? And just FYI, so far so good with the algae eater of mine. Still has not been any issues, and it's been almost 2 years now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store